Minikeg Ball-lock Lid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
s-l1600.jpg

I use 19l cornies, but could do with some smaller solutions for events. 6.6l cornies are very expensive, so was wondering about minikegs combined with these ball-lock lids.

They seem to vary in price from £20 to £50...

Anyone here used them?

Thanks

Martin

I've been looking at 10 litre keg plus the above. The lid I saw on eBay was £22 and the keg £48. They're sitting in save for later until I crack and buy them.

I have moved for the time being to 1 gallon brewing and have purchased 4, 4L kegs of this style. Not used them yet but feedback from members (there is a dark farm thread somewhere...) is good. possibly harder to clean than a corni keg but apart from that not seen any complaints. i have my first Demi john of beer to keg next week so will get some pictures up and my thoughts.

If you already have kegging set up, I would think this would be perfectly fine as any negatives tend to be about gas (canisters) or taps.

Interesting prospect these for taking beer "on the road" i.e. when I'm on holiday in the caravan. Wonder if the 4L jobs would fit in my cool box.

Interesting prospect these for taking beer "on the road" i.e. when I'm on holiday in the caravan. Wonder if the 4L jobs would fit in my cool box.

I want to try and make a "Cool box" kegerator once I get them working properly. the 4l kegs are actually quite tall and thin, where as the 5l ones I think are wider so depends on your cool box size as to whether they will fit.

I have moved for the time being to 1 gallon brewing and have purchased 4, 4L kegs of this style. Not used them yet but feedback from members (there is a dark farm thread somewhere...) is good. possibly harder to clean than a corni keg but apart from that not seen any complaints. i have my first Demi john of beer to keg next week so will get some pictures up and my thoughts.

If you already have kegging set up, I would think this would be perfectly fine as any negatives tend to be about gas (canisters) or taps.
I demi john brew, and absolutely love my 4ltr mini keg. Like you said above, they are quite tall for what they are. Would love to see a picnic cooler kegerator though! This years summer project??

Yes tapped straight from out post on keg. Fine for me as all my gear is in a tall fridge. This was to see how I got on with kegs etc... Will be building a kegerator next & going for it. Btw the tap does have flow control so that is a handy feature.

Good to hear. Will look forward to kegging my first beer next weekend and will report back. The nice thing is I can brew small batches every week and keep a constant turnaround of beer.

B868A59C-7F6A-442E-BE8E-2A347F461A2A.jpeg
Hi Dexter this is from the 10ltr mini keg with sodastream gas. Still needs a bit longer but poured nicely. DDH pale , eldorado , Citra & mosaic 7.2%.

I have a 5L keg from iKegger, just started using it last month. As it's my first venture into kegging I'm still getting to grips with it, but overall I'm happy, it fits in the fridge (just) and plan to buy a couple more kegs. Currently using 16g CO2 bulbs but I have a sodastream adaptor for it so will probably move to that.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried to bottle from this style of keg? And if so, how?

Back