Missed My Target OG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkocaster

Reaction score
From Newcastle Upon Tyne but living in Switzerland
Brew day for me yesterday, have been trying to perfect a London Pride type of recipe but completely missed my OG after Mash, it was very low 1.012,
After a bit of research and head scratching I think it could be my mash volume was too large, the mash was very watery and not like an oatmeal at all.

I would like to discount my grain Î think it was milled correctly and bought from my local store, but I understand this also has a large part to play.

Any input would be much
appreciated

Brew day for me yesterday, have been trying to perfect a London Pride type of recipe but completely missed my OG after Mash, it was very low 1.012,
After a bit of research and head scratching I think it could be my mash volume was too large, the mash was very watery and not like an oatmeal at all.

I would like to discount my grain Î think it was milled correctly and bought from my local store, but I understand this also has a large part to play.

Any input would be much
appreciated

Any chance your hydrometer is off the mark? Does it read 1.000 in water?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

After a bit of research and head scratching I think it could be my mash volume was too large, the mash was very watery and not like an oatmeal at all. …
Don't go down the road of thinking mash thickness makes a huge difference. It can make some difference, but not a big one - after all there are people out there mashing using no-sparge, the entire brew length's water in the mash, and "BIAB" techniques, and get on fine with such a thin mash.

Amount of grain water temp mash time would help to assess the issue
Thanks

Latest posts

Back