Misty when cold

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Largerlout

Reaction score
I've found that my bottles of beer are clear at room temperature, with some sediment at the bottom, but when refrigerated they go slightly misty. The sediment is still at the bottom and it tastes perfect. I am wondering what is going on.

Sounds like chill haze.

Basically proteins in suspension in your beer.
They won't affect the flavour at all.

You can reduce chill haze by heating as strongly as you can as you boil. And cooling as quickly as possible after you've finished boiling.

Thanks for the answers. It's 6.6 % ABV. perhaps that has something to do with it.

Interesting, just had exact same issue with a NZ Pilsner (Lisa likes Nelson Brewfather recipe). Crystal clear at 18 degs but hazy at 4 degs. Wouldn't bother me except this was the first time I'd tried using finings (liquid isinglass). Also used half a whirlfloc tablet in last stage of boil.
Tastes great but really was trying for clarity... pils haze.jpgpils.jpg
Might try again with gelatin? Not sure if it makes any difference. Interested in the chemistry if anyone knows...

Following this thread with interest. Brewed a Kolsch, which after 2 weeks carbonating and a week in the loft conditioning, was crystal clear. After a few days in the fridge to lager, I noticed it had a chill haze. I'm leaving it for as long as possible to lager, in the hope that time will clear it again.

Interesting, just had exact same issue with a NZ Pilsner (Lisa likes Nelson Brewfather recipe). Crystal clear at 18 degs but hazy at 4 degs. Wouldn't bother me except this was the first time I'd tried using finings (liquid isinglass). Also used half a whirlfloc tablet in last stage of boil.
Tastes great but really was trying for clarity...View attachment 50004View attachment 50005
Might try again with gelatin? Not sure if it makes any difference. Interested in the chemistry if anyone knows...
If anyone knows it's Charlie.

Tastes great but really was trying for clarity...View attachment 50004View attachment 50005
Chill haze is caused by hop polyphenols and barley proteins combining to form complexes at lower temperatures resulting in colloidal particles in the beer which break up again at higher temperatures. There are a variety of approaches aimed at reducing susceptibility to chill haze which, generally, involve removing one or both of the components or removing the particles once formed. Methods include: a vigorous boil to coagulate protein (hot break), rapid wort cooling to do likewise (cold break), kettle finings (e.g. Irish moss), beer finings (e.g. isinglass, gelatin, which are both forms of collagen, PVPP), prolonged cold conditioning (lagering), enzyme additions (e.g. Brewer’ Clarex). I find heavily hopped/dry-hopped beers seem particularly prone.

Following this thread with interest. Brewed a Kolsch, which after 2 weeks carbonating and a week in the loft conditioning, was crystal clear. After a few days in the fridge to lager, I noticed it had a chill haze. I'm leaving it for as long as possible to lager, in the hope that time will clear it again.
It will clear again if you keep it cold, the colder the better. It will take a while though,.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's not technically bad for your beer like say leaving hot break in your beer is, but I also do like a crystal clear beer even when cold and removing cold break is too much like hard work for homebrewers - you need to filter the wort to remove it completely and even other commercial methods like flotation or centrifuging doesn't even remove it completely. Lagering as mentioned works, but takes a long time.

So for ales I use clarityferm/equivalent . the NBS one is just the undiluted version that whitelabs sells, so much better value. Reduces gluten too

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/clarity-ferm-enzyme-per10ml-vial/https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/nbs-clarity-15ml/

It will become clear with more conditioning time. Especially if it's cold conditioning. For example, after the priming period, put the next beers you might drink in the refrigerator. In my experience, it works.

Now I rode the foxbat reply, it's the same thing.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for all the replies. Yes it was pretty much only just conditioned then chilled so will see how things go with time. Guess I was disappointed as I thought I'd done everything right. Good boil, rapid chill (using a Brewzilla), whirlfloc, cold crash, isinglass, and it looked so good prior to going in the fridge.
I'll look into the clarity ferm too.
Cheers...

If you use Clarity Ferm or similar, does it affect how much yeast is available for carbonation in bottles?

Did some research today and it may slow carbonation a bit but still works apparently.

In other research, its Friday night here and my pils has cleared a bit from initial test bottles. 🙂

Back