Mix worts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clives-online

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have 10 litres of Belgium beer that has been brewing for one week. I have just received the second 10l Belgium beer kit.

Can I add the second 10l wort to the original wort??

Regards,
Clive

Greetings,

I have 10 litres of Belgium beer that has been brewing for one week. I have just received the second 10l Belgium beer kit.

Can I add the second 10l wort to the original wort??

Regards,
Clive
Yes, can't see any reason why not.

You can, but it may not be a good idea since the first batch is probably almost done by now and you'd have to watch out not to oxidise the beer when mixing them. I'm assuming you have two of the same kit, what kit is it?

Hi Zephyr it is Belguim tripel

I have no idea, what oxidising the beer means??

Better to put it into a demijohn??

Right so an extract kit? When you first mix up the wort it's best to stir it up and splash it about a bit to get oxygen into it for the yeast to grow healthily. Once the beer is fermenting getting air (oxygen) into it is bad as it'll mess up the flavour, essentially making it go stale. In a hoppy beer it'll kill the hop flavour, in a pale beer like a tripel the beer will darken and not taste as good as it could have.

There's also the risk of infection if you keep opening up the fermenter and adding things to it.

Personally, I'd let this one finish then do the second rather than risk both not turning out as well as they could have. Also has the benefit of comparing them and seeing how consistent your fermentations were.

Maybe I'm just overly cautious. :-)

Latest posts

Back