Mixing (CML Hell, Brewferm) lager yeasts?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druncan

Senior Moments
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am experimenting brewing lager for the first time. Same Muntons 2kg Extra light HLME + 1.6kg Dex. Used a) 2 packs Brewferm Lager yeast the other b) 2 packs CML Hell. Both nice slow fermentation @ 8-10*C for 2 weeks then 1 week 22*c. both 1.050-1.010/12 Now conditioning. a) has lovely fruit notes, great body, but quite sweet. b) is dry with no fruitiness less body. I will Lager for 1 month and dry hop via randal with Lublin.

But planning next experiment before I decide on best recipe for me.
Thinking of 1 pack of each to get the best of both worlds? Or Trying Saflager S-23? views/advice appreciated?:roll::tinhat:

I am experimenting brewing lager for the first time. Same Muntons 2kg Extra light HLME + 1.6kg Dex. Used a) 2 packs Brewferm Lager yeast the other b) 2 packs CML Hell. Both nice slow fermentation @ 8-10*C for 2 weeks then 1 week 22*c. both 1.050-1.010/12 Now conditioning. a) has lovely fruit notes, great body, but quite sweet. b) is dry with no fruitiness less body. I will Lager for 1 month and dry hop via randal with Lublin.

But planning next experiment before I decide on best recipe for me.
Thinking of 1 pack of each to get the best of both worlds? Or Trying Saflager S-23? views/advice appreciated?:roll::tinhat:

I can give you my views on Diamond in a week or so as I kegged one the other day, my last lager was W34/70 and I was pretty impressed with that so its certianly worth a go. Not tried S23 or Brewferm. I am a fan of CML Hell.

There was a strong taste like pear drops in the brew that didn’t change with conditioning. Yeast stress is the likely cause. I’m pretty obsessive with temp control when brewing lagers and this one went well on that front, so I’m not sure where the stress came from. It’s a Munich Helles recipe I’ve brewed many times and the only variable that changed was the yeast. I normally use wy2308 but decided to brew at short notice so used a dry yeast instead.

I used Hell for the first time recently and I've just used the slurry in a strong lager. I haven't tasted the first batch yet, it's far too soon. I used Diamond a while ago and found it gave a faint, but persistent "eggy" flavour. Don't know why, but there are plenty of lager yeast out there to not have to worry about that again.

There was a strong taste like pear drops in the brew that didn’t change with conditioning. Yeast stress is the likely cause. I’m pretty obsessive with temp control when brewing lagers and this one went well on that front, so I’m not sure where the stress came from. It’s a Munich Helles recipe I’ve brewed many times and the only variable that changed was the yeast. I normally use wy2308 but decided to brew at short notice so used a dry yeast instead.

I'll look out for this. I tasted it lastnight but very little carbonation yet, and it was nice. I didnt pick up anything untoward. Its a fairly simple lager, with very little hiding place for off flavours so if its there I should hopefully detect it. I am trying to work my way round the dry lager yeasts in pursuit of a house recipe. Pleasinly, now that I am employing a ferminator for tight temp control, I am finding lager to be fairly easy!

I'll look out for this. I tasted it lastnight but very little carbonation yet, and it was nice. I didnt pick up anything untoward. Its a fairly simple lager, with very little hiding place for off flavours so if its there I should hopefully detect it. I am trying to work my way round the dry lager yeasts in pursuit of a house recipe. Pleasinly, now that I am employing a ferminator for tight temp control, I am finding lager to be fairly easy!
I expect that my experience was brew related rather than a flaw with the yeast itself. Hopefully you won’t have the same issue. I’ve just picked up some CML Hell for my next lager brew. The current wy2308 culture is brewing it’s last batch at the minute.

Hi Clarence when you said a Eggy Flavour do you mean a sulphur smell if so that is not uncommon even some of the best lagers have this slight smell but it does not usually translate in the actual taste only a smell as you raise your glass to drink

Hi Clarence when you said a Eggy Flavour do you mean a sulphur smell if so that is not uncommon even some of the best lagers have this slight smell but it does not usually translate in the actual taste only a smell as you raise your glass to drink
Exactly as you describe, Baron, and it tends to dissipate (or one becomes accustomed to it) as you work your way down the glass and it doesn't spoil the taste at all. Even so, it's not the same "sulphury" smell that you can sometimes get in a pint of draught Warsteiner or some lagers brewed with W-34/70, which I don't find unpleasant.
In fact I've noticed among home brewers that we tend to be over-critical and over-analytical of our efforts, when, having paid a goodly sum for a pint in the pub, we neck it down without even a second thought.
To go back to the original post, I used to use saflager S-23 all the time. It was the go to lager yeast when S-04 was the go to ale yeast. I haven't used it for ages, for no particularly good reason, and I remember that it was a sound and reliable lager yeast. I'm going to try it again.

I said I would come back with some thoughts on Diamond.... So far I have been pretty impressed with it but tonight pint, I feel as if I am tasting something.... doughy. People say pilsner malt tastes bready so maybe I'm.just picking that up, but it's decidedly bread dough to me rather than bread. So am I smelling$tasting the yeast.... Who knows.

I am going back to CML Hell next, for a playoff between it and 34/70

I’m surprised there’s been negative feedback on Diamond. It’s my “go to” dry lager yeast and I always find it reliable, clean and crisp/neutral.

2 packs, 10C for a week, raise to 18C slowly over the course of a week, hold at 18C for a week, lower to 1C over 2-4 days, hold for lagering, keg. That method gets me perfect results every time.

I’m surprised there’s been negative feedback on Diamond. It’s my “go to” dry lager yeast and I always find it reliable, clean and crisp/neutral.
I mean, I think it is.... I'm not a good taster. I only noticed it lastnight having drank some alongside some big hitter of the genre like Augustiner, Tegernseer and Ayinger.... But even then it might be the malt.

Cheers all!! following travels ages ago I seem to remember the Slovak beers were particularly tasty; Zlatý Bažant, 12° svetlé pivo,,,,,
Shame it's filtered,, I think that unique flavour is what i'm after. Top fermented but 2ndry @ 1-2*C!!!! - any other suggestions?

Latest posts

Back