Mixing yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azzda

Reaction score
So I have read that people mix yeast and its not an issue but I was wondering about the dos and don'ts. More specifically I have been using gervin wilko ale yeast with my extract kits but I add extra malts and sugars to up the abv sometimes. It need more yeast should I just add the yeast that comes the kit and would this effect the flavour much or am I better doubling up on the gervin?

Thanks guys 😁

How high are you going with the ABV? One packet is probably enough unless your OG is >1.065 or so (and even then it is arguably still enough).
When mixing yeasts, the more characterful strain will naturally add more in terms of flavour and as I understand it Wilko Gervin ale is just repackaged Nottingham, and so a rather neutral strain. In other words, if you use the kit yeast along with the Gervin it might add something else to the flavour profile, depending on what strain it is, and that could be a good or bad thing.

How high are you going with the ABV? One packet is probably enough unless your OG is >1.065 or so (and even then it is arguably still enough).
When mixing yeasts, the more characterful strain will naturally add more in terms of flavour and as I understand it Wilko Gervin ale is just repackaged Nottingham, and so a rather neutral strain. In other words, if you use the kit yeast along with the Gervin it might add something else to the flavour profile, depending on what strain it is, and that could be a good or bad thing.
Thanks for the reply.
I sometimes do about 60+ I also it seems a shame to waste the yeast. I guess the yeast that comes with the kit can't be that bad for the kit then? I guessing the Nottingham yeast will still add to the covering sugar if not much to the flavour?

I don't brew kits so I don't know to be honest, but I think kit yeasts have a bit of a bad reputation. again.

Yeah well that's the reason I got the wilko yeast so I guess that would defeat the purpose[/QUOTE]

Latest posts

Back