MJ Brut IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.R.S

Reaction score
Hi All,
Has anyone brewed this kit?
The yeast instructions suggest brewing between 18-30c, so I have kept it constant at 24c.
Tasting it 2 weeks later it has a strong taste of bananas. According to the MJ website this is typical of this yeast strain but its quite overpowering but not unpleasant.
OG was 1.054 and SG is now 1.005 (MJ suggest a FG of 1.004).

Any feedback appreciated.

Hi SRS,
I brewed this a couple of weeks back, it's currently sitting in a shed in the cool conditioning.
I tasted it as I kegged it and it was indeed brut had a rawness about it which I assume was to be expected.
It was quite quaffable, the rawness soon dropped away to leave a reasonably thick mouthfeel.
I can't remember bananas at all but my taste buds are a bit weird.

I'm about to start building a kegerator so once that is built It'll be chucked in and tapped!

I have high hopes for it acheers.

Hi SRS,
I brewed this a couple of weeks back, it's currently sitting in a shed in the cool conditioning.
I tasted it as I kegged it and it was indeed brut had a rawness about it which I assume was to be expected.
It was quite quaffable, the rawness soon dropped away to leave a reasonably thick mouthfeel.

I'm about to start building a kegerator so once that is built It'll be chucked in and tapped!

Hi, be interested to see how it turns out. Mine so far feels quite full bodied almost like a weisse beer but I believe this is the character of the M20 yeast that came with the kit as attached. But a definite banana taste. I wouldn't say it is that dry yet but plan to give it another week before bottling this weekend.

Attachments

• Craft Series Yeast Booklet (3).pdf
    638.7 KB · Views: 96
Hi SRS,

I also noticed phenomenal fermentation after 6 hours when the krausen pushed up through the airlock. I have never seen activity like it.

I also noticed phenomenal fermentation after 6 hours when the krausen pushed up through the airlock. I have never seen activity like it.

Yes, forgot about that, it was a bit keen! I also used the kit yeast, I wanted to keep this one true to the recipe.
However I did ferment it under pressure at around 10psi.
I made it in the evening and when I checked the next morning the fermentation vessel was at 30psi with krausen filling the upper space, I soon reduced the pressure down to a sensible level...
Note to self, check calibration after cleaning the pressure valve 🙄

I'll be drinking it as soon as I have a working keezer. I'm starting it today. I'm currently having to drink solely bottled beer ATM.

I'll report back once I'm in a position to drink it 👍

Hi ChilledGecko,
I am interested to understand how you pressure ferment using a corny. What are the advantages/disadvantages, how to keep temperature controlled and how would you bottle from the corny and understand the correct priming calculation?
If you simply leave it in the corny and serve from there, wouldn't their be a lot of trub?
I have read about shortening the dip tube but would prefer not to have to do this.
Look forward to hearing.
Many thanks

Yes, forgot about that, it was a bit keen! I also used the kit yeast, I wanted to keep this one true to the recipe.
However I did ferment it under pressure at around 10psi.
I made it in the evening and when I checked the next morning the fermentation vessel was at 30psi with krausen filling the upper space, I soon reduced the pressure down to a sensible level...
Note to self, check calibration after cleaning the pressure valve 🙄

I'll be drinking it as soon as I have a working keezer. I'm starting it today. I'm currently having to drink solely bottled beer ATM.

I'll report back once I'm in a position to drink it 👍

I also tasted it earlier and it is very alcoholic. Not much I can do about that now!

I also tasted it earlier and it is very alcoholic. Not much I can do about that now!
Yes, it is my highest abv brew to date 😁

Regarding fermenting under pressure, I ferment using a fermzilla which allows pressurised fermenting with an add on kit.
I use the pent up pressure to transfer into my keg at the end of fermentation to reduce the risk of oxygen contact.
My kegs are pressurised using a CO2 bottle, no priming sugar involved. Attached is a picture of the mj brut IPA being transferred, note CO2 bottle on stand by in case the pressure drops to much.
Any questions shout 👍🍺🍺

Attachments

• 20200524_143250.jpg
    20200524_143250.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 87
Managed to get it chilled down a bit yesterday while building the keezer, not fully cold but getting there.
Rawness has gone, still nicely brut. It feels a lot lighter in the mouth now. Nice hop finish.
No hint of the abv that lurks within 😲
... Geez, I sound pretentious but I'm not sure how to describe it otherwise 🤓
Picture attached

Attachments

• 20200603_161107.jpg
    20200603_161107.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 52
Hi S.R.S. how did you find out it was M20 yeast, the reason I ask is because I have just started this kit and the yeast packet only stated Mangrove Jacks Craft Series Yeast Brut Yeast 11g

Back