MJ craft series pils kit advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flan

Reaction score
I plan on doing this kit next mangrove jacks craft pils, it comes with M54 californian lager yeast-10g, with saaz hops for dry hopping. So i have a couple of questions, it says i need either 1kg of pure malt enhancer or 1.2kg dextrose.
If i was to use 1kg of dextrose and 500g of malt enhancer or spray malt to 23 litres would this be a problem, would i need to add more yeast. It says it comes in around 4.5% would doing this pull the abv up a bit or would it harm it. This will be my 2nd ever brew and wanted to try pimping a kit a little just for experience and to see what to do and what not to do.
Also the priming sugar used is it just the dextrose or a mixture of sugars or can you use ordinary granular/castor sugar.
What kind of ratios of dextrose/malt enhancer/spray malt is ok to use. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
My MJ Pale Ale kit (40 pints @ 4.4% abv) brewed with 1Kg of dextrose and 500g of DME came out at 5% abv. No extra yeast!

Malt extract will add more body and sweetness whereas dextrose will make a thinner, drier beer. There's no right or wrong, just personal preference.

I believe the saaz hop is mild so would be reluctant to up the abv too much for fear of unbalancing the flavours. I would stick with the kit's instructions for the first time and make notes on any changes you may think would tweak it more to your taste.

My MJ Pale Ale kit (40 pints @ 4.4% abv) brewed with 1Kg of dextrose and 500g of DME came out at 5% abv. No extra yeast!

Malt extract will add more body and sweetness whereas dextrose will make a thinner, drier beer. There's no right or wrong, just personal preference.

I believe the saaz hop is mild so would be reluctant to up the abv too much for fear of unbalancing the flavours. I would stick with the kit's instructions for the first time and make notes on any changes you may think would tweak it more to your taste.
Thanks for that

Back