MJ Helles lager stink

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.R.S

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am now on my 3rd batch of this kit.
The 1st one was great and very popular.
The 2nd one kicked off awful smells during fermentation and did not disappear after fermentation and I ended up chucking away 23 litres as I thought it was a bad batch.
The 3rd and current one is kicking off some seriously bad sulphur smells 3rd day into fermentation, similar to the last one.
I know lager yeasts are known for giving off such aromas during fermentation but as I understand it the MJ54 Californian lager yeast that comes with the kit is, in fact, an ale yeast that can be fermented at ale temperatures.
As said the 1st one turned out brilliantly although it was fermented under pressure.
So what's the deal here? I can't be throwing another batch away and I can't believe my kit was not sanitised properly as I am pretty meticulous especially as this is now happening with this third batch.
Can anyone actually confirm if this is a lager or ale yeast and if you have had similar issues to mine?
Thanks

as I understand it the MJ54 Californian lager yeast that comes with the kit is, in fact, an ale yeast that can be fermented at ale temperatures.
No. It's a lager strain (or at least MJ claim it to be), and yes it can be fermented at ale temperatures. MJ-M54 is not unique in this respect, I use saflager W- 34/70 for fermenting ales in the high 20s when other yeast start ruining the beer. Horrible smells usually clear themselves up, but they can be disconcerting. try adding a teaspoonful of yeast nutrient to the brew to give the little buggers a helping hand.

Back