MJ Liberty Bell yeast

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Banbeer

Banbeer Brewing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made an AG ESB from GH book on Monday 14th, OG 1.050 fermented at 20°C and didn't pay that much attention to it for a couple of days. On the Wednesday 16th I looked in the brew fridge and noticed it had a krausen but no airlock action so I took a hydrometer reading thinking I had a stuck ferment, it was at 1.010, I checked today and it is still 1.010 so it's done. Question: does this yeast usually give these sort of results or was it a one off do you think, first time user of this yeast.

obscure

Perpetually Confused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My most recent batch I put in the fermentor at about 21 degrees, original gravity was 1.047 on Sunday, had hit 1.008 by Wednesday, so seems quite possible.

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've used this yeast and found it perfectly satisfactory. I believe it's their old Burton Union yeast, repackaged. I find the MJ yeasts ferment very quickly. I've had a fermentation done in 2 or 3 days with M42.

darrellm

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liberty Bell is my new go-to yeast, ferments out perfectly and brings out the hop flavours in British ales nicely. Wish I'd started using it sooner.

I hadn't noted the ferment time down as I almost always ignore mine for 2 weeks after pitching, I've got a Porter brew on with M15 at the moment and did notice the air lock stopped bubbling after a few days.

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
I used it for the first time recently and I found that it fermented out well in good time. I've read (on here I think) that it's equivalent to safale S04, but I'm not so sure (I liked liberty bell 😁). Made a lovely stout.

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
I used it for the first time recently and I found that it fermented out well in good time. I've read (on here I think) that it's equivalent to safale S04, but I'm not so sure (I liked liberty bell 😁). Made a lovely stout.
Yeah, according to Langdon and Suregork, it has the same genetic makeup as S-O4. Bottom line is that S-04 is boring as hell while Liberty Bell has a bit of character to it. And it's faster.

Stuart Wilson

Reaction score
This is my got to yeast too....ferments fast and very vigorously! I usually get pretty close to 70% attenuation. Last few brews I've used MJ American Strong Ale yeast which I find even faster....also seems to attenuate a bit more ....80%. Next brew I plan to try MJ lager yeast with bohemian pilsner malt.

jjsh

Landlord.
Reaction score
Yeah, according to Langdon and Suregork, it has the same genetic makeup as S-O4. Bottom line is that S-04 is boring as hell while Liberty Bell has a bit of character to it. And it's faster.
Liberty bell also had a lovely smell when it's fermenting, whereas S04 doesn't. I really struggle to believe that they are the same / similar yeast, but if that's what the gene sequence says, it's hard to argue. Still baffles me! 😁

darrellm

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been brewing with S-04 since 2011, it just seemed to be the go-to yeast, but going to ditch it now. To be honest I've tried a variety of yeasts over the years but struggled to notice the difference, however upon using Liberty Bell with beers I'd previously brewed with S-04 they're completely different, and way better.

Tanglefoot

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used MJ84 on my first true lager attempt which is conditioning now, a Youngs European Pilsener.
Huge improvement on the standard ale yeast. Little bit of yeasty sediment but stuck firmly to bottom of the
bottle and lager pours clear.
IMG_2020-12-12-20-10-25-469.jpg