MJ Liberty Bell yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banbeer

Banbeer Brewing
Reaction score
I made an AG ESB from GH book on Monday 14th, OG 1.050 fermented at 20°C and didn't pay that much attention to it for a couple of days. On the Wednesday 16th I looked in the brew fridge and noticed it had a krausen but no airlock action so I took a hydrometer reading thinking I had a stuck ferment, it was at 1.010, I checked today and it is still 1.010 so it's done. Question: does this yeast usually give these sort of results or was it a one off do you think, first time user of this yeast.

Liberty Bell is my new go-to yeast, ferments out perfectly and brings out the hop flavours in British ales nicely. Wish I'd started using it sooner.

I hadn't noted the ferment time down as I almost always ignore mine for 2 weeks after pitching, I've got a Porter brew on with M15 at the moment and did notice the air lock stopped bubbling after a few days.

I used it for the first time recently and I found that it fermented out well in good time. I've read (on here I think) that it's equivalent to safale S04, but I'm not so sure (I liked liberty bell 😁). Made a lovely stout.

I used it for the first time recently and I found that it fermented out well in good time. I've read (on here I think) that it's equivalent to safale S04, but I'm not so sure (I liked liberty bell 😁). Made a lovely stout.
Yeah, according to Langdon and Suregork, it has the same genetic makeup as S-O4. Bottom line is that S-04 is boring as hell while Liberty Bell has a bit of character to it. And it's faster.

This is my got to yeast too....ferments fast and very vigorously! I usually get pretty close to 70% attenuation. Last few brews I've used MJ American Strong Ale yeast which I find even faster....also seems to attenuate a bit more ....80%. Next brew I plan to try MJ lager yeast with bohemian pilsner malt.

Yeah, according to Langdon and Suregork, it has the same genetic makeup as S-O4. Bottom line is that S-04 is boring as hell while Liberty Bell has a bit of character to it. And it's faster.
Liberty bell also had a lovely smell when it's fermenting, whereas S04 doesn't. I really struggle to believe that they are the same / similar yeast, but if that's what the gene sequence says, it's hard to argue. Still baffles me! 😁

Been brewing with S-04 since 2011, it just seemed to be the go-to yeast, but going to ditch it now. To be honest I've tried a variety of yeasts over the years but struggled to notice the difference, however upon using Liberty Bell with beers I'd previously brewed with S-04 they're completely different, and way better.

I used MJ84 on my first true lager attempt which is conditioning now, a Youngs European Pilsener.
Huge improvement on the standard ale yeast. Little bit of yeasty sediment but stuck firmly to bottom of the
bottle and lager pours clear.
IMG_2020-12-12-20-10-25-469.jpg

Resurrecting an old thread, but these comments about Liberty Bell v S-04 interested me. In my early days, I too used S-04 for bitters, but had been discouraged by adverse comments here, partly, and have tried others since.
Anyway, while back I brewed a batch of Flakey Bitter (my own recipe, but so named because of an addition of flaked barley). I decided to split the batch, and pitched half with LB, and half with S-04. By the way, the beer had pretty much hit its targets, and all looked good at pitching time. Both sets got down to around 1010 OK. Well, that was <checks spreadsheet> 44 days ago (since bottling).

I'm drinking one of the S-04 half-batch now. It's lovely and clear, and the graininess of the barley comes through just how I'd like. The LB bottles still look well cloudy (although they are slowly improving), and look far from ready. I haven't tasted one yet.

Will they be worth the wait and eventually produce something better than the other lot? It strains my patience! :D

I’ve been using mostly MJ yeasts for consistency, most of my brews seem to be fermented quite quickly within 5-7 days. Except M25 empire ale which took around 10x days in a red ale.

I’ve been using mostly MJ yeasts for consistency, most of my brews seem to be fermented quite quickly within 5-7 days. Except M25 empire ale which took around 10x days in a red ale.

M25 is definitely the exception. I'm an MJ convert and mostly use their yeasts these days, most finish quite quick but M25 is a long slow burner, my latest one didn't finish until day25, at day21 it still had a significant Krausen,

Latest posts

Back