MJ M76 Bavarian lager yeast.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sifty

Landlord.
Reaction score
Using this for the first time, in a Märzen based Rauchbier.

I dry pitched 2 packets onto 24 litres of wort at 12 degs (best I could do as ground water temp is around 16 degs atm) then fermented in a fridge at 10 degs C.

It won't stop fermenting :D
Was bubbling away 24 hrs in, and continued for 9 days when I started ramping up for a diacetyl rest, as I thought was near FG (stepped through 13, 15, 17, 19 degs).
It's still bubbling 12 days in, and reading 1.008 on the ispindel (expected FG was 1.016).

Slowing down this morning and looks like the curve has flattened, but the ABV is a robust 7.2% rather than the calculated 5.6% (I did exceed expected OG as well).

20220216_110308.jpg

Not a problem, I'll just cold crash when it's finished, but wondering if this sort of attenuation is normal?

Haven't used any MJ yeast before, seems to go well for the price and is readily available.
Cheers...

Are you sure your iSpindle is calibrated properly? Also keep in mind, it won't read as accurately with yeast and hop crud stuck to it.

Yeah had crossed my mind as I've had that before, but can see it inside the clear fermzilla fermenter, and it looks fairly clean. Not overly worried about the numbers, more the fact it's still merrily fermenting away (iSpindel is calibrated pretty well, and I'll take a reading when I bottle to check how the numbers compare)...

Bubbles have definitely slowed since I posted earlier though, so looking good, after it's been steady for a day or 2 I'll crash it...

MJ yeast is my favourite - I haven't tried that yeast yet but it's on the list.

One of my recent brews used M84 which is supposed to have 69% attenuation - nope, I got 91! 😂

Doesn't taste dry though and is nicely balanced and yummy. Awesome yeast in my opinion.

Great to hear... athumb..
It's early morning on day 14 of fermentation and looks like things have flat lined.
20220218_055419.jpg

Still get the occasional bubble though, so will leave till that's settled before a few days cold crash. Never seen a yeast go so long.
Thought I'd be bottling today :D

Update. Been cold crashing the last couple of days (5 ° C) and just added finings so took a sample. Appears the iSpindel had a bit of crud affecting balance so was a tad optimistic with the numbers. 🙂
Reading at 20 degs is 1.011, so a robust 6.8%, will call it a 7% beer after bottle conditioning...

Really pleased with the colour and clarity though. And the taste is very promising. Not a bad smoke, more a bacony, campfire type of presence, which is what I was after... athumb..

rauch sample 1011.jpg

So I'm pleased with this yeast so far. It bubbled for 22 days and looks to have dropped out fairly well. Next step is seeing how it rouses itself for bottle fermentation...

Update. Been cold crashing the last couple of days (5 ° C) and just added finings so took a sample. Appears the iSpindel had a bit of crud affecting balance so was a tad optimistic with the numbers. 🙂
Reading at 20 degs is 1.011, so a robust 6.8%, will call it a 7% beer after bottle conditioning...

Really pleased with the colour and clarity though. And the taste is very promising. Not a bad smoke, more a bacony, campfire type of presence, which is what I was after... athumb..

View attachment 63502
So I'm pleased with this yeast so far. It bubbled for 22 days and looks to have dropped out fairly well. Next step is seeing how it rouses itself for bottle fermentation...
That looks absolutely amazingclapa

I'm doing a very similar brew this weekend and so this information is great! Out of interest, what type of finings did you use?

Just a 5g pack of Mangrove Jack's gelatine I had to hand. Never used it before and wanted to try it out. Dissolved it in half a cup of cooled boiled water and stirred it in gently with a sanitised paddle.

That pic was a sample taken before I added any incidentally. So probably didn't need any...

Just a 5g pack of Mangrove Jack's gelatine I had to hand. Never used it before and wanted to try it out. Dissolved it in half a cup of cooled boiled water and stirred it in gently with a sanitised paddle.

That pic was a sample taken before I added any incidentally. So probably didn't need any...

Great thanks :)

[EDIT] said in post #7 above it was bubbling for 22 days, not sure where that came from, was actually 16... 🙂

Bottled this brew 20 days in, and are all in the fermentation fridge.
rauch conditioning.jpg

Pleased with the labels, and the PET bottles have firmed up already, which is encouraging.

I aimed for a CO2 level of 2.5. I never know what temp to use for residual CO2 as it fermented at 10, ran at 19 for a few days then crashed to 4 degs. Looking at previous brews I decided to use the highest temp it fermented at so dissolved around 166g of dextrose in boiling water that went into the bottling bucket. Look forward to the first carbonated taste test...

I hope you like gushers, because you used a good bit too much priming sugar. Pop a bottle to test within the first 5 or 6 days.

Yeah bit nervous, but in line with other brews I've done, and all have been fine. There was 23 litres and the style guidelines say up to 2.8 CO2, which is 190g dextrose, so fingers crossed...

Looks great right now. But my point is more along the lines of... if it's fully carbonated in 5 days, just imagine how carbonated it will be in 10 days, 15 days, etc. Many of my beers take 10-15 days to fully carbonate. Maybe you'll be alright. But, be cautious and not surprised if it overcarbs later. Keep it all very cold now.

No it's only lightly carbonated so far, a slight hiss on opening and those bubbles are from a high pour. Seems on track for the target, which is around 2.5 - 2.6 volts CO2. I'm aiming to lager this for a couple of months after 2 weeks bottle fermentation. Should be right... 🙂

14 days carbonation test. Bloody near perfect. The head had dropped a little after I set up the shot in front of my hops... athumb..
Rauch 14 days.jpg

Should only improve with age too. Goes great with an aged bit of crumbly cheddar... 🙂