MJ New Zealand Pilsner Hop addition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottyburto

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm looking for a Pilsner dry hop addition suggestion as the general consensus is that this kit is a bit flat flavour wise. I was gonna go with a standard Saaz but am open to any suggestions with reasons. If I'm not asking too much. One hop I want to avoid is the "weedy" (As my wife calls it) smelling hop synonymous with original Becks, bottled Carlsberg. I know they're not classic Pilsner.

Motueka or Nelson Sauvin would make good New Zealand based hop additions, I think.

I'm by far an expert on these things, but I did experiment with dry hopping lagers last year. My favourite was the motueka - it was really nice. Funny enough I recently brewed the MJ NZ pilsner, but I wanted to experiment with Kolsch yeast, so didn't dry-hop it. Sadly, with he Kolsch yeast it suggests cold conditioning for 8 weeks, so I've got an agonising wait to find out if was successful.

I've been tempted with Motueka in the past for a previous brew but chickened out and went with Mosaic cause I knew I liked it! Might be the time to bite the bullet.

Hi all!

I'm looking for a Pilsner dry hop addition suggestion as the general consensus is that this kit is a bit flat flavour wise. I was gonna go with a standard Saaz but am open to any suggestions with reasons. If I'm not asking too much. One hop I want to avoid is the "weedy" (As my wife calls it) smelling hop synonymous with original Becks, bottled Carlsberg. I know they're not classic Pilsner.

I brewed this a while back and went for Saaz. Produced a decent brew but did have a slight twang to it. However, it gave it a bit of a citrusy character rather than the classic homebrew twang. Didn't really notice it after a few sips. Also, I drank it way to quickly and I'm sure it would have benefited from a few more weeks of relaxing!
I intend to brew this kit again but maybe with LME and possibly using some Harris Pure Brew to try and tackle the twang, or at least see if it makes any difference.
I like the idea of trying a different hop but the Saaz did work well (dry hopped in a muslin bag for a few days).

The attached photo is the pilsner after one week of carbonation in PET bottle. Nice and clear but the head could be better.

Attachments

• PXL_20201206_132116400.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201206_132116400.MP.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 41

Latest posts

Back