MJ Pink Grapefruit IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.R.S

Reaction score
Hi All,
I brewed this 2 weeks ago and when I took the OG reading it came out an almighty 1.063 versus previous attempts which read 1.047! admittedly I rinsed out every last bit of wort and enhancer from the packs and added 2x 10g packets M44 US West Coast MJ yeast (they recommend any og readings over 1.050 to add 2 packets).
Today the SG is 1.010 so this is looking like a whopping 6.94% (pre bottle conditioned) versus their suggested 5.7% ABV!!
It has been brewing at a constant 20c.

How can this be?

What was the extra fermentable you added - what was your brewing volume - how did you take your gravity reading? Etc.

What was the extra fermentable you added - what was your brewing volume - how did you take your gravity reading? Etc.
Added 1.2kg MJ pure malt enhancer, brewed to 23l. hydrometer reading before pitching rehydrated yeast at 23c read 1.063. Brewed for 2 weeks at constant 20c. Took another reading which was 1.010.
Added dry hops at 2 weeks and plan to leave for another week before bottling this weekend.
The main difference with this method is I thoroughly mixed the extract and enhancer in hot water in a stockpot on the stove and used hot water to rinse out every last bit from the pouches.
It doesn't taste particularly strong but the readings suggest otherwise.

liking the stock pot idea, looks like you've built a monster there! have you tried any yet? I brewed mine today and came out at what looks like 5.5% with 1kg of dextrose added. interestingly the sample I took from the top of the bucket was 1.042, didnt believe it so took one from the tap (minutes later -guess it needed a fuller stir?), 1.049 so 5.5% if it hits 1.008 as advertised. cant wait to try it, will be kegging in 9-10 days.

cheers

liking the stock pot idea, looks like you've built a monster there! have you tried any yet? I brewed mine today and came out at what looks like 5.5% with 1kg of dextrose added. interestingly the sample I took from the top of the bucket was 1.042, didnt believe it so took one from the tap (minutes later -guess it needed a fuller stir?), 1.049 so 5.5% if it hits 1.008 as advertised. cant wait to try it, will be kegging in 9-10 days.

cheers
yes, tasted, much liked by friends and all gone!
I must have misread the hydrometer as it didn't taste any stronger than the last batch at 5.6%.
Have moved onto many more brews since then.
Let me know how it tastes

so after less than 48 hours in the fermenter it's already blown through the airlock and gone from 1.050 to 1.022. at this rate i could dry hop after 4 days and keg after 6.

is there any downside to kegging 'early' if the SG has been achieved? wait a couple extra days for yeast to settle etc?

any advice appreciated

cheers

Latest posts

Back