MJ Raspberry Berliner Weiss v Brewdog Cosmic Raspberry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyne_brewer

Regular.
Reaction score
I gave my wife a taste of my BD Cosmic Raspberry & she loved it. Does the MJ Raspberry Berliner Weiss come anywhere near this in terms of fruitiness & tartness? I don't want to go down the kettle souring route yet, just a quick knock-up in the hope of warm weather to come.

Paul.

I found the MJ one slightly less acidic than the cosmic raspberry although I do prefer the MJ.

This style of beer calls for extra priming sugar and longer conditioning time, so now would be best for brewing an exceptionally refreshing summer beer.

I had one of my MJ Raspberry Berlinners last night after 4 months in the bottle and its improved greatly, so much so, its going to be very difficult to save my batch until summer.

Im curious to give their lemon sour a go too but it seems to sell-out very quickly :-(

I found the MJ one slightly less acidic than the cosmic raspberry although I do prefer the MJ.

This style of beer calls for extra priming sugar and longer conditioning time, so now would be best for brewing an exceptionally refreshing summer beer.
That was exactly my plan - I can always use a little lactic acid if it’s deemed not sour enough. The ABV is a little light at the quoted 3.6%, I suspect we will be checking for holes in our glasses lol. I bought the MJ LME pouch to go with it so hopefully it will be more like 4.5% or so as per usual with 3kg-ish kits.

I used 1.5Kg of brewing sugar and got somewhere in the order of 6% abv.
I primed with 9mg per litre which seems perfect for this brew when served cold straight out of the fridge.

In terms of sourness, initially my MJ was up there with the cosmic, both being a little too sour for me, almost to the point of that Lactic acid vomit taste.

Due to that early taste it was quite easy to store away, but I've been having a test bottle each month and Im very impressed with how its matured. The raspberry notes have intensified and the vomit taste has been replaced with a very refreshing tart sourness. Imagine those sour haribo sweets in a bottle and you're getting very close.

For this particular recipe I would suggest sticking to just sugar as LME might drown-out the delicate raspberry flavour with maltiness resulting in a kriek type of beer.

Although I must admit I quite like a kriek too :cool:

I went with 1kg brewing sugar and 21litres. OG 1046 which should be pretty close to the Cosmic Raspberry 4.6% ABV. Smells beautiful, I could just drink the wort!

Latest posts

Back