MJ Single Hop Citra IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beermonster66

Honest mister, a'am no really a welder!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pitched this last Sunday. Airlock activity stopped on Tuesday and checking the SG today I found there is still a thick krausen. Reading was 1.02. On rechecking the pouch I think I've dropped one - says extra fermentables are 1.2Kg LME then directly under, 1Kg dextrose then it says OR 1.4Kg beer enhancer. I added 1Kg dextrose as well as the LME. Should it have been the LME or the dextrose or the beer enhancer? I stupidly didn't take the OG. If I've got this wrong have I ruined the brew? Any advice what to do?

I would say your assumption is correct it should have been only one of the 3 options.
It may or may not ferment lower it depends on how alcohol tolerant the yeast is but if it does you will have a beer stronger than you expected.
There mat be ways to get it to ferment lower if the yeast has stalled but not guaranteed to start again by stirring to rouse the yeast, raising the temp by a few degrees or adding another yeast that has a higher attenuation /alcohol tolerance.
If it will not go any lower it will just have a sweeter finish. If you bottle it be careful that the yeast does not decide to start again, hopefully not but just bear in mind as bottle bombs are not desireable

I’m reading the instructions from the MJ website as:

Pure Liquid Malt Extract: 1.2 kg (2.65 lb), Beer Enhancer 2: 1.4 kg (3.08 lb) or Dextrose: 1kg (2.2 lb)

As you choose one of the three so I reckon you are fine also the kit seems to be 2.5KG

https://mangrovejacks.com/collections/limited-edition/products/single-hop-citra-ipa-limited-edition
So with 1 kilo of dextrose in 23L would give you an OG of about 1.048

Edit Just saw you also added the LME it will be a tad strong but reckon you will still get some decent beer though OG will be about 1.064 so watch yourself when drinking as may be a tad strong.

Take a reading now, and then take another reading in 2 days. If the reading is the same it’s safe to bottle. Good luck.

First pour of the Frankencitra. I think I've definitely overcooked this one. It's very dry with a biscuity taste. It is drinkable, just. Maybe it will mellow over time. This definitely comes under the category "don't try this at home".
20220225_200323.jpg

Last edited:
First pour of the Frankencitra. I think I've definitely overcooked this one. It's very dry with a biscuity taste. It is drinkable, just. Maybe it will mellow over time. This definitely comes under the category "don't try this at home".View attachment 63682
If you can give it plenty of time to mature, I did an Imperial Stout and the difference a year later was unreal.

Just poured, used half light malt and half brewing sugar. Took a full 3 weeks to brew and only a couple of weeks since bottling, its glorious! Going to have a job not to knock it back too quickly. Unfortunately think the wife might like it too. (its good to share they say - sometimes)

I've done a lot of mj kits and in my opinion they take 3 weeks to finish
3rd week is slow but still keeps going
Quality beer allways

I've just set another batch going and despite the accidental addition of a Kg of sugar last time, I decided to add 500g this time as I do like 'em strong. I'm also going to double up on the dry hop to 100g.

PS I failed miserably in trying to keep a few back from the last batch. All gone.

I've done a lot of mj kits and in my opinion they take 3 weeks to finish
3rd week is slow but still keeps going
Quality beer allways
I agree that they are generally very good kits but in my experience depending on which yeast and what temperature I'm fermenting at, fermentation finishes much quicker! Are you monitoring fermentation by airlock activity or gravity ? Airlock activity can be seen many days after fermentation is complete !
Dissolved CO2 will be released after fermentation is complete unless you prevent it from doing so.
I usually ferment for the first 3 to 4 days with zero pressure, after that, I continue fermentation under pressure using a spunding valve to naturally carbonate the beer. Usually it's fully fermented and fully naturally carbonated and dry hopped within 2-weeks and then I cold crash.
On occasions I have kegged and served within 15 days.🍻

Latest posts

Back