Mmmm Cheese

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My usual 'go to' cheeses are: a good Stilton (or other blue cheese), Wensleydale, crumbly Lancashire, Vintage Gouda, Camembert, and a runny Brie. But I've yet to find a cheese that I don't like, so I'll try anything that looks or smells interesting. . . . . . . . The perfect accompaniment for a good pint :beer1:

My usual 'go to' cheeses are: a good Stilton (or other blue cheese), Wensleydale, crumbly Lancashire, Vintage Gouda, Camembert, and a runny Brie. But I've yet to find a cheese that I don't like, so I'll try anything that looks or smells interesting. . . . . . . . The perfect accompaniment for a good pint :beer1:
A friend once went into a well known London cheese shop and asked for something interesting. The reply was "interesting nice or interesting nasty?"

She asked for one of both. The nasty one was horrendous. It looked like a wrinkled orange brain and smelled like it had died in a sewer a few weeks earlier. It's one of the very few cheeses I have ever balked at! I forget the name but would be pretty sure I could identify it at 100ft in the future.

If anyone's interested in a cheese and beer matching night, Sean at Tom's Tap and Brewhouse in Cheshire has started doing some pretty popular events.
Cheese and beer matches, delivered to your door in time for an online group Zoom guided tasting session.
Cheese from The Cheese Shop in Nantwich and Beers from Sean's microbrewery.

https://www.tomstap.co.uk/product/beer-and-cheese-matching-online/

These are great :coat:

1642776684225.png

As I've said before, I tried Stilton after watching All Creatures Great and Small.
It's hard to beat.
My daily cheese is sharp white cheddar but I love Swiss and Havarti for sandwiches and burgers. Very fond of Brie also.
There's a shop downtown that has 200+ cheeses (it might be way more) available, mostly imported. There are too many to try but we sample different ones regularly.

Last edited:
Bill Bailey was given some generic cheese on his tour of NZ and stated it was so bland it smelled like a container that may have had cheese pass by it one time in the past... :D

(NZ does do good cheese but 90% is mild cheddar supermarket style).

I think we can all agree the pressurised canned 'cheese' in the US is an abomination...

i love cheese, stilton, creamy lancashire, really strong chedder, here is a scary thought, imagine the world of food if there wasn't any milk, the thought of all the foods that contain it is mind blowing, even humble mashed spuds without cream or butter, no custard the list is very long athumb..

1642967589453.jpeg

Oxford College White w with Truffles, this is a cheese that has a fairly short,window,when it is just right to eat but is absolutely delicious. Available from the Oxford Cheese company in the Oxford covered market. They also have a lovely Spanish goats cheese can’t remember the name but covered in ash it’s fairly strong but just perfect with crusty fresh bread.

Also if you can get it a really decent cheddar, yes it‘s a style whose reputation has being damaged over the years by the multitude of cheap supermarket cheddars but if you find a descent cheese shop and can get a good one then a strong English Cheddar with crusty bread some chutney and a pint of good beer to go with it and I am a happy man.

I once bought some cheese from the caves in cheddar gorge...very nice. They showed us a cavern that had a locked gate guarding it full of cheese. It belonged to the Queen .

Wensleydale cheese fantastic cheese and a brilliant visitor centre -

1642968655249.png

6ee206-Yorkshire-Wensleydale.jpg

Set in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales is The Wensleydale Creamery, home of Yorkshire Wensleydale cheese and our fantastic Visitor Centre.

Shop - Wensleydale Creamery - Artisan Cheese, Gifts & Hampers

1642969293152.png

Award-winning Visitor Experience

Our interactive experience will take you on a journey through the art of cheese making which includes the opportunity to watch Yorkshire Wensleydale cheese being handcrafted by our team of master cheese-makers from our Viewing Gallery.

There’s fun for the whole family with hands-on games and activities. Have fun driving the children’s milk tanker and learn all about how a cow makes milk.

Watch clips of your favourite Wallace & Gromit films, with colouring kits, quizzes and puzzles for the children too. You can also have your photo taken with Wallace & Gromit Characters!

Admissions
£4.95 Adults
£2.95 Children
Family ticket (2 adults & 2 children) £12.95
Free entry with the two course January offer

Last edited:
Back