Mobile phones.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You would have had to live under a rock not to know the new penalties started today but did you know it is an offence to use your phone even if you are in a lengthy tail back and going nowhere?

Why is it only young drivers are to lose their licences if caught surely older drivers should know better so should suffer the same consequences.

Drivers caught using a phone within two years of passing their test will have their licence revoked under new rules in England, Scotland and Wales.

Penalties for using a phone at the wheel double from 1 March to six points and a £200 fine.

New drivers who get six points or more must retake their practical and theory.

More experienced drivers can be banned if they get 12 points in three years.

The tougher punishments come alongside a hard-hitting advertising campaign.

In 2015 - the latest year for which figures are available - 22 people were killed and 99 seriously injured in accidents where a driver was using their phone.

Police forces have begun a seven day crackdown, with extra patrols and an "increased focus" on stopping people using their phones while driving.

Can I check social media or texts if I'm queuing in traffic or stopped at traffic lights?

No - a hand held phone cannot be used, even if stopped at lights. Texting and scrolling social media (even if the phone is mounted on a hands-free holder) is distracting and dangerous. It doesn't come under the handheld
mobile phone law but the police may decide to charge you with a number of other offences.

Can I use my phone to listen to music, play podcasts or watch video clips?

You can't watch video clips - not even if your phone is mounted in a hands-free holder.

You can use your phone to listen to music and podcasts but only if your phone is in a hands-free holder or connected by Bluetooth.

However, just as you can be distracted by the noise of a car radio, if it affects your ability to drive safely, you could still be prosecuted by the police.

Can I use my phone's sat nav?

Yes - as long as the phone is mounted in a hands-free holder. If it's in your hands, it's illegal.

However, if you are distracted by the sat nav and it affects your ability to drive safely, you could still be prosecuted by the police.

Can I pull over to check my phone?

Yes, providing you are safely parked with the engine switched off, you can pull into a lay-by or pull up on a single yellow line (providing there are no road markings showing restrictions at that time).

What counts as hands-free?

A dashboard holder or cradle, earphones or a Bluetooth connection. It is illegal to use hand-held microphones or to hold your phone out on loudspeaker.

Smart watches and voice-activated software are legal, but again can be a distraction, and the driver may be liable for other offences.

So what can I do on my phone?

You can only use your phone in your hands if you are safely parked. The only exception is if you need to call 999 or 112 in an emergency and it is unsafe or impractical to stop.

What about learner drivers?

The same rules apply, and it is also illegal to use a hand-held phone or similar device when supervising a learner driver or motorcycle rider.

Source: Department for Transport + BBC.

There are enough distraction in my car without a phone being in my hand. Luckily I have icar so I can dictate my texts if I ever needed to do so whilst driving. Most of the drivers I see using phones are middle aged. Has a right go at a lady for driving into my sons nursery whilst using the phone.

I had a call on my mobile from the AA whilst I was driving, trying to sell me insurance.........beat that!!!!!

Do the keys have to be out of the ignition when stopped and engine off to make a call?
I ask as I was talking to someone years back who was sat in the driving seat having slept in the car,keys in but engine off,got breathalysed and failed and got done for drunk driving....police woke him up!

Cheers

Clint

The world's gone mad.

When I first went to sea on tramp steamers I could spend weeks without any contact with my friends and family (letters used to chase the ships around the world) so when did it become worth risking someone's life just to send or receive a message or to talk to someone?

I loved the:
Can I pull over to check my phone?

Yes, providing you are safely parked with the engine switched off,
you can pull into a lay-by or pull up on a single yellow line
(providing there are no road markings showing restrictions at that time).
Yeah, right! I've had a few near misses over the last few years when motorists in front of me, for no apparent reason that I could determine at the time, slammed on their brakes, swerved to the side of the road and stopped.

Cursing at their stupid and apparently illogical actions as I negotiated my way past their parked vehicle, I have realised that they were "obeying the law" and stopping to answer their bloody phones! :doh:

Personally I think the punishment should be an automatic jail sentence of one week for:

o Using a mobile phone whilst driving.

o Having a mobile phone switched on in a vehicle with only one occupant. (Who's going to answer the phone? The driver of course!) :thumb:

Do the keys have to be out of the ignition when stopped and engine off to make a call?
I ask as I was talking to someone years back who was sat in the driving seat having slept in the car,keys in but engine off,got breathalysed and failed and got done for drunk driving....police woke him up!

Cheers

Clint

He probably got done for "being drunk in charge of a motor vehicle on a public road"; and deservedly so! :thumb:

Cheers

Clint

Drunk in charge.

Young drivers do get the same punishment as older drivers. 6 points. The difference is that new drivers can have their licence revoked if they get 6 points in I think its the first 2 years after passing their test. That has been the law for years now.

My personal view is anyone who causes an accident as a result of drink driving, using a phone or any other device that distracts them, excessive speeding, etc should be sentenced harshly. If they kill someone it should be murder rather than manslaughter or causing death by dangerous driving.

Oh. Still not right - an older driver with a clean licence gets two goes at being busted.

More a case of pulling idiots who ignore the common sense of the law and are endangering the lives of the rest of us off the roads PDQ before they kill anyone.

Perhaps consider that passing a test gives you initial driving privileges, and maintaining a relatively clean licence for the first few years then solidifies your driving privilege. Age isnt really the factor its aimed only at newly qualified drivers. Who coincidently do tend to be younger for the most part, but the aim is at the inexperienced who may not be all that young.

Now if you want to start a rant about insurance premiums younger drivers face I wont argue with you at all. you could buy my car a couple of times for the monthly fee one lad i know pays to drive a 5yr old golf.

Cheers

Clint

Good point and I too remember reading cases where people were done for that.

I still think a big fine and a month ban is the only way they will stop these idiots.

Now if you want to start a rant about insurance premiums younger drivers face I wont argue with you at all. you could buy my car a couple of times for the monthly fee one lad i know pays to drive a 5yr old golf.

There's a couple of dudes at our works like that - car on finance and monthly insurance which combined with other motoring costs leaves them with a couple of quid left from their wages - still living with parents you know. And they don't even need the car, yet can't do without it. They ignore my sage advice to buy a pushbike but alas it falls on deaf ears. The regret is coming down the pipeline.

There's a couple of dudes at our works like that - car on finance and monthly insurance which combined with other motoring costs leaves them with a couple of quid left from their wages - still living with parents you know. And they don't even need the car, yet can't do without it. They ignore my sage advice to buy a pushbike but alas it falls on deaf ears. The regret is coming down the pipeline.

And then they complain they cant afford to get on the housing ladder.

Most home owners I know went through years of scrimping and saving to get on the housing ladder. Young people these days have brand new premium cars, designer clothes, multiple holidays a year and complain they cant affor to buy a house. F***ing greedy idiots if you ask me.Think they deserve the good life handed to them on a plate.

'hand held microphones'
I wonder if my CB is still legal?

Even the police use hand held radios and phones whilst driving, they say they are trained but it's the distraction not training that matters. Taxis are the same big displays and tapping away whilst driving. Why is it any different for them?

Latest posts

Back