Mobile phones

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
New rules on the use of mobile phones in cars is soon to be brought in, you will not be allowed to touch the phone for any reason unless you are parked and the engine is off so no using it as a sat nav unless it's in a holder and hands free means that you are not allowed to touch the phone even if it's just touching the screen to answer a call, setting a destination is a big no no.

Device fiddling annoys the heck out of me, as someone that is often on the road on two wheels (with and without an engine). People travel some distance whilst "just glancing". Back when I commuted (ages ago now due to Covid!) the number of rear enders in slow moving traffic I observed was sky high, I also made the assumption it was the person behind glancing at the phone, considering the number of people I used to see taking great interest in their crotch as I passed the queues.

But whilst we're at it, and I get this is a tangent but I do think is mildly related - modern cars have all these touchscreens. I don't think they're that different, having endured a couple of hire cars with them. My 16 year old car (I'm not really one for four wheels...) is full of buttons and dials, I can do everything by feel without my eyes leaving the road.

So is smoking legal in a car?

Assuming you have an under 18 in a car - no (a few get outs, such as a 17 year old on their own in their car, driving a convertible with the top down etc). Same if you're in a work vehicle.

If not in those situations.... Like many things (including eating) it depends whether it's causing your standard of driving to drop. It's why occasionally you get news stories along the lines of "driver fined for eating an apple at the wheel"

Are they going to ban everyone from fiddling with the radio in the car as well then. I have my phone in a mount with hands free and use it to play podcasts (screen not on)

I seen loads using their phone while driving today...I hope they get caught and banned. People like that kill people.
A couple of years back we were going to the Tatton flower show and stuck in traffic...I could see the dozy mare behind us on her phone and told Mrs Clint that she would drive into us...and she did.
Her car just touched ours,no damage done but I got out and had complete fit on her and held everything up for about 20 minutes...people beeping (who I unpolitely told to go away) and all sorts! She was a bit upset and said she was calling her friend! FFS! With hindsight I should have taken her phone and chucked it into the woods,then drove off.

I have my phone in a mount with hands free and use it to play podcasts (screen not on)

If that is the case you have nothing to worry about unless you try to change the playlist or radio station while the engine is running.

You can be prosecuted for eating, drinking playing with the radio or anything that takes your concentration off the road.

About damn time,

//

SELF CENSORED

//

The reality is, you will be absolutely fine, and again, hundreds of driving trips messing about, not really paying attention, it's fine... we're all okay... wrong!

It's that one time, that split second... and BANG! You just killed someone, perhaps a mother and child...

Absolutely no room for anyone grumbling about this, anyone who does is a selfish, narcissistic wa....

Okay,. I will stop there...

I agree, phone use is extremely dangerous. As I said mine is in a mount, phone hands free and screen off and I don't use it whilst been moving.

My eldest just turned 17 and is learning to drive. He has obviously not been using the phone in the car whilst learning but I have been harping onto him constantly about not using his phone.

It's that one time, that split second... and BANG! You just killed someone, perhaps a mother and child...
Absolutely no room for anyone grumbling about this, anyone who does is a selfish, narcissistic wa....
Okay,. I will stop there...

Believe me before the night is out at least one person will tell you they have been driving for years holding a phone and they have never had an accident, the same people will tell you its no different to talking to a passenger even though it has been proved it is.

I agree, phone use is extremely dangerous. As I said mine is in a mount, phone hands free and screen off and I don't use it whilst been moving.

My eldest just turned 17 and is learning to drive. He has obviously not been using the phone in the car whilst learning but I have been harping onto him constantly about not using his phone.
Don't be tempted to use your phone while supervising him (if you do) as you are deemed in control of the vehicle. The worst thing is the people I see looking down and fiddling. I can pull them but unless I actually see the device I can't do anything other than issue words of advice.

Believe me before the night is out at least one person will tell you they have been driving for years holding a phone and they have never had an accident, the same peole will tell you its no different to talking to a passenger even though it has been proved it is.

I know... it's so so sad, pathetic really.

Youngsters (and other newly qualified drivers) don't realise that the standard penalty of 6 points (and £200 fine) is enough in the first two years of driving to get a licence revoked. That's not just a ban, but you have to reapply for your provisional and resit the test (both parts).

No matter how capable a person is, they are less capable if they're distracted by a device. Whatever the legal limit is on blood alcohol, the same person would be more capable with a 0% blood alcohol (except for people who swear by it while golfing).
The "lot's of looking down at laps" indicates texting doesn't it? That's just wackadoodle to do while driving.

Don't be tempted to use your phone while supervising him (if you do) as you are deemed in control of the vehicle. The worst thing is the people I see looking down and fiddling. I can pull them but unless I actually see the device I can't do anything other than issue words of advice.
Isn't this enforceable by the time data logged on the phone?

It is ironic that all new cars now have screens built in. To control not only radio and sat nav, but also air con etc.

Back