Mobile phones

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, but the Police can still drive and operate their radios (by pressing a button) at the same time:laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:

That really does my head in, if you watch the police shows on TV they often use their shoulder mounted radio while in high speed pursuits by pressing a button with one hand surely these new cars (usually BMW) have hands free kit built in.

The exemption may allow the use of 2 way radios, but I don't recall any prosecutions under S3 of RTA. It is therefore on the same level as eating, drinking etc whilst driving; and I am aware of the Police pusuing such actions:?:

The law allow exemption for a two way radio.

It may be the law but that doesn't make it right you are not in control of a vehicle in high speed pursuit if you haven't got both hands on the steering wheel, its hypercritical to say us plebs cannot hold our phones and talk it has to be hands free and in a cradle but its ok for police to drive with one hand holding a button so they can talk.

To balance this out a little, all emergency service drivers have to do an advanced driving course and most members of the public don't bother!

That doesn't make it safer to drive with one hand and as i have said surely with the technology in cars today especially top end ones (BMW etc) there should be no need to only have one hand on the wheel.

That doesn't make it safer to drive with one hand and as i have said surely with the technology in cars today especially top end ones (BMW etc) there should be no need to only have one hand on the wheel.

No, of course not. That's not what I meant, the advanced driving techniques give you more reaction time because your degree of awareness is that much more extensive, I was shocked at the difference it made, at least double, probably more depending on the circumstances. I haven't done the course, I was just taught to drive by an ex-ambulance driver, and he made me realise that my awareness beyond the immediate was shockingly poor, as is the case for most drivers, sorry to say.

In any case, not making excuses, just trying to give a bit of balance. You are right, there should be no need.

I seen loads using their phone while driving today...I hope they get caught and banned. People like that kill people.
A couple of years back we were going to the Tatton flower show and stuck in traffic...I could see the dozy mare behind us on her phone and told Mrs Clint that she would drive into us...and she did.
Her car just touched ours,no damage done but I got out and had complete fit on her and held everything up for about 20 minutes...people beeping (who I unpolitely told to go away) and all sorts! She was a bit upset and said she was calling her friend! FFS! With hindsight I should have taken her phone and chucked it into the woods,then drove off.
You should have front and rear facing dash-cams, submit that to the police and they stand a good chance of a ban

I don't see the punishment as adequate enough to discourage it. Even the new penalties are a paltry sum, an instant ban is what is needed for the first offence, but of course if the police don't take action then it all means nothing, the chance of being caught is pretty minimal.

No, of course not. That's not what I meant, the advanced driving techniques give you more reaction time because your degree of awareness is that much more extensive, I was shocked at the difference it made, at least double, probably more depending on the circumstances. I haven't done the course, I was just taught to drive by an ex-ambulance driver, and he made me realise that my awareness beyond the immediate was shockingly poor, as is the case for most drivers, sorry to say.

In any case, not making excuses, just trying to give a bit of balance. You are right, there should be no need.
I would heartily recommend IAM Roadsmart. (What used to be the institute of advanced motorists). They teach the same system of car control that the police use and ou ave more on your insurance than the annual sub costs.

Last edited:
I would heartily recommend IAM Roadsmart. (What used to be the institute of advanced motorists). They teach the same system of car control that the police use and ou ave more on your insurance than the annual sub costs.

Thanks, if I ever get a car again (highly unlikely in the foreseeable future) I will give it a go! I am pretty sure I already know the techniques as I was taught them at the beginning of my driving, but can always learn more I guess.

I don't see the punishment as adequate enough to discourage it. Even the new penalties are a paltry sum, an instant ban is what is needed for the first offence, but of course if the police don't take action then it all means nothing, the chance of being caught is pretty minimal.
I think an instant ban for a first offence is a bit draconian, though if you are in your first two years then that is effectively what it is. £200 and 6 points, with no doubt increased insurance is a hefty wedge. The increase of hands free means it is avoidable, though I personally don't even like using that when driving. I tend to put my phone in airplane mode and listen to an audio book. Hands free for police radios would be nice but the tech isn't compatible (bluetooth and Airwave though that may change when the new system comes in - don't hold your breath) and the car sets do have a stalk button or one on the gear lever, that you do see the tv cops using and I use it when I can (or if double crewed, the passenger does the talking). The chances of being caught are indeed pretty minimal simply because there are not enough officers on patrol and there are any number of higher priority tasks to attend to. IF I'm out and IF I see you on your phone and IF I'm not deployed to another incident then yes, a ticket follows. It's the one area where I don't apply any discretion. A light out might be words of advice or a Driver Warning (not a ticket but it's recorded so if you get pulled again next week it's more serious). Top tip, smiling and being friendly can only help your cause, what is common referred to as 'The Attitude Test'.

One thing of interest is that emergency service drivers do not have any exemption under law for responsibility for their driving. There are certain traffic regulation exemptions such as being blue to treat red lights as a give way while on blues but we are still held to the the same standard as all road users, that of a careful and competent driver and any accident involving a police vehicle (POLAC) is very thorough investigated.

Believe me before the night is out at least one person will tell you they have been driving for years holding a phone and they have never had an accident, the same people will tell you its no different to talking to a passenger even though it has been proved it is.
Fair Play my mrs stops speaking to me as we approach big multilane roundabouts as I need to work out where the heck the one handed drivers are going.

My neighbour shot out of her drive, essentially out of control, steering with one hand and eating a sandwich with the other. Almost wipped me out. And she's a posh teacher at a posh private school. Some months later I saw her trying to steer with one hand, going around a roundabout whilst drinking coffee from another. Total buffoon.

As far as increasing skill level, taking a motorcycle course and the more advanced ones, make one a much, much better car driver. But it still doesn't change the fact that no matter how good you are at driving while on the phone, you are better if you aren't.
When my neighbor got a Porsche, he took lessons. I don't know if they were required (probably not) but that's the type of person he was.

I commuted on a motorcycle from Essex to Central London for 25 years but finally decided to hang my bike boots up 4 years ago after almost being knocked off 4 times in as many weeks. Each time was because someone on their mobile phone, not to their ear but held in front of them texting, veered across into my lane.
To pass the time whilst filtering through the traffic one day I decide to count the amount of people I spotted using the phone. On that four mile stretch of slow moving traffic I counted 18!
The issue is that the Police need to spot them in order to prosecute and there are fewer and fewer Police around. It doesn’t matter what the consequences are when the chances of getting caught are close to zero.

Part of my safety checklist is driving in no more than moderate traffic. That way I can make defensive moves when the folks on their cell phones aren't paying attention.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, I quit driving because it just isn't any fun any more.

I am quite sure I have compensated for 35 years of smoking by the reduction in stress levels and walking everywhere!

Win win... win win!

Latest posts

Back