Modern mild - am I really the only brewer who makes it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do low ABV beers generally finish fermentation very quickly? I brewed a sort of a mild this week with a yeast starter and within 24 hours the krausen was already dropping. This is the first time I've brewed a beer in the 3-4% range. I'm going to stick it in a mini keg but I'll probably wait another few days at the least
This is purely anecdotal but in my experience my ordinary bitters and milds typically ferment very quickly, and I generally find they will ferment out fully in about three to four days, with the bulk of the fermentation in hours 12-36. I mostly use CML yeasts either Midlands (Nottingham) or four (which I assume is S-04).

I brewed a dark mild at 3.6% before Christmas i dont normally do lower abv beers and had never drank a good dark mild so decided to give it a go

Another lover of mild here! I'm up in Aberdeen, NE Scotland. We rarely see any mild in the pubs here, with the only exception being Swannay Dark Munro which appears once in a blue moon and is lovely drop. Nearly all the mild I get to drink is my own homebrew. I'd love to see more of it out in the wild.

I'm another convert to mild malt. I also like a bit of pale chocolate malt and flaked barley I don't use invert sugars in mild, so not strictly traditional. Fuggles all the way here, usually bittering only, to around 20 IBUs. I've been using WLP022 Essex Ale yeast for a while after getting a vial last year and growing lots of it. It's got a nice estery character, not fruity, just enough to give it a bit of interest. It may be on it's way out now though so may try something else for a while.

Planning a dark mild for a recipe to brew in 2023. Agree Mild is under brewed and under-rated. Also like even rarer ‘light mild’.

Will keep you posted on brews day when it comes 👍🏻

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221229-110016.png
    Screenshot_20221229-110016.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 0
I have recently done the Beast of the Midlands mild. Not absolutely to the recipe but not far off but used a Belgian yeast and it taste good

I've recently done two milds. I had a bottle of the pale 7%-er last night, just about ready, and I bottled the dark 4½%-er a few days ago. Couldn't do without a dark mild in the cellar!

Is the 7% mild named oxymoron mild? 😂😂😂
I think the best description I saw of strong Mild Is throwback Mild as it is meant to be much closer to pre WWI Mild, the Graham Wheeler clone of Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild (at 6%) so not quite the above level is a nice example of why a strong, malty lightly hopped beer can work really well, likewise if you look at some of the Scotch Ales.

I primarily make session Mild in the 3.2-3.5% range but if you haven’t tried it it’s really worth giving making a strong 6%+ Mild as it works really well.

I make strong dark Scottish ales like Old Jock, Traquair House, and Skull Splitter but I would not call them milds.
I would agree (it’s more a case of you sadly can’t get many Modern Milds in this range and Scottish Ales are one the few examples of strong Malt driven ales). As a style it really is a case of if you want it you probably have to make it yourself.

Is the 7% mild named oxymoron mild? 😂😂😂
Haha. I started reading about some of these heritage recipes that Pattinson loves to dish out and I think a couple of them arounbd 1820-1830 had an XX suffix. Anyway I had a unopened, but loose packet of 250g of fuggles cones I wanted to use up so I thought, what the hell, and knocked up a strong one with about 65 IBUs. It's tasting really good and not at all bitter!
I think mild referred to fresh beer rather than stored and kept beer in the day.
So I'd better get on and drink it!

But joking aside, that was a user-upper and I have two dark milds in regular production. The second one I bittered with Harlequin in desparation as my intended hop smelled a bit iffy. It tastes a bit weird when it's fresh- grapefruity- but when it's had a few weeks in the bottle, it's gorgeous.

Last edited:
This link is really off-subject (it's not talking modern mild!), but as the thread has wandered a bit it might help?

A Short History of Mild

It's 15 years old, so Mr Pattinson's views might have changed a little bit?

I'm currently enjoying a "Truman 1909 X" (X-Ales morphed into "Mild") having ripped the recipe out of Mr Pattinson's scribblings. 6% ABV! It represents an early beginning to darker Milds and a rare use of crystal malt in those days. A more recent recipe (1939, same brewer) halves that to 3% ABV.

This link is really off-subject (it's not talking modern mild!), but as the thread has wandered a bit it might help?

A Short History of Mild

It's 15 years old, so Mr Pattinson's views might have changed a little bit?

I'm currently enjoying a "Truman 1909 X" (X-Ales morphed into "Mild") having ripped the recipe out of Mr Pattinson's scribblings. 6% ABV! It represents an early beginning to darker Milds and a rare use of crystal malt in those days. A more recent recipe (1939, same brewer) halves that to 3% ABV.
Does it go back to Sir Walter Raleigh who brought back a key ingredient from Virginia I.e tobacco.😂😂

Latest posts

Back