Modifying a buffalo boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
I am planning on doing some modifications to my buffalo boiler and would like some pointers. It will be used as a mashtun at some point but will probably boil in it as well. I am thinking an analogue thermometer, a thermowell and possible recirculation ports either for whirlpooling or mashing. I really have no idea where to cut holes and how many i need. Maltmiller sell a 30cm domed false bottom for £20 which should be the perfect fit. I will be using a bag as well as i have found it makes for much easier cleaning and have had no stuck mashes since switching to a bag from a bottom plate. I may not even drain from the bottom plate. It might be used just to prevent scorching of the bag. How do whirlpool ports work? Do they require another pump?
Bulkhead fitting https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-NPT-...821105?hash=item3d3044cff1:g:qQ8AAOSwB4BaN4yk
I already have a thermowell but its 3cm longer than my PT100 PRobe. Is that a problem?

Last edited:

Nothing's in it. It's just the tube. You need to buy a sensor that's the correct diameter to fit into it. That's a remarkably good price for a thermowell by the way. Seriously considering one for my fermenter now I've seen that.

Hi!
In this You Tube clip, it shows fitting a whirlpool port to an ACE Microbrewer. If it's for the mash tun, I would add another ball valve to the Buffalo, just as he has done in the clip, add a quick disconnect to the ball valve then, when wanting to whirlpool, take the recirculation "top" tube, i.e. the one from the pump outlet into the top of the mash tun and connect it to the ball valve controlling the whirlpool. You won't need another pump to do this.
I would be quite happy to put a temperature probe into a thermowell that's too long for it - it's still going to get an accurate read of the wort temperature.
I have Q-Max cutters that I used to fit my ball valve and thermowell - you are quite welcome to borrow them.

Still not made a list of everything i need. A few photos of the parts i already have to use;
044.JPG
045.JPG
053.JPG

Not sure if i will use the y strainer as i don't think its necessary but i might get another one for draining to the no chill cube.
This false bottom should fit right in the middle. https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/30cm-stainless-false-bottom/
And one of these bags http://brewinabag.co.uk/en/biab-bags/18-biab-bag-for-pots-up-to-40cm-diameter.html

I have ordered 2 thermowells as above but they don't come with lock nuts, any idea where to get them from. I've searched but unable to find any. 1/2" NPT thread

i think i might get one of these instead of a dip tube as should be able to angle the barb.

Sweet! It would also make a great whirlpool attachment if anyone was contemplating a whirlpool port.
I received my ball valve taps from Ali Bongo . . . sorry, Aliexpress.
They are decent quality but they don't have a long shank inside the vessel - bugger!
I'm thinking of using one of these as a lock nut.

Sweet! It would also make a great whirlpool attachment if anyone was contemplating a whirlpool port.
I received my ball valve taps from Ali Bongo . . . sorry, Aliexpress.
They are decent quality but they don't have a long shank inside the vessel - bugger!
I'm thinking of using one of these as a lock nut.

I meant to say whirlpool port but now you say it could be good for both. Will order one and report back. If you can unsrew the shank you could swap it for one of these. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121485008323?var=420421109452 (i must learn how to shorten links).
They have quite a few usefull fittings. I have spent hours fiddling about with taps trying to decide what i need though. Will get up some photos of the work so far. The bag i bought is excellent. Nice and big.

Hi!
I just got two of these for $2.41 each including postage from Ali Bongo (Aliexpress). I thought I'd ordered one!
elbow.jpg

I might have a go at using one as a lock nut on the inside of the new ball valve.
I looked again at the 90 DEGREE SWEPT ELBOW FITTING BSP FEMALE on Fleabay - it doesn't specify stainless steel, unless i'm blind and can't see it.

Last edited:
Back