Mods to a 40L Buffalo boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to do the same, what size ball valve did you use? given the weird oval hole, I was thinking 1/2" would be too wide, but I am having trouble getting a good seal with my 3/8" (can't find good washers to fit and seal)
I used a sandstone drill bit to widen the hole for a 1/2" tap. It seals fine you just need the correct washers. I will take mine aprt over the weekend and post some photos of how its connected.

I used a sandstone drill bit to widen the hole for a 1/2" tap. It seals fine you just need the correct washers. I will take mine aprt over the weekend and post some photos of how its connected.
Because I'm a poor student I was hoping to avoid needing to buy a drill (should I have one anyway? probably, but I don't), but I would love to see your pics to get an idea! maybe I could make it work with the oval hole anyway

I must admit, I just used a file on my buffalo to enlarge the hole, didn't have a fancy drill or attachment.....

Because I'm a poor student I was hoping to avoid needing to buy a drill (should I have one anyway? probably, but I don't), but I would love to see your pics to get an idea! maybe I could make it work with the oval hole anyway
As was going to suggest do the same as Baz. It was easy to cut. I will take it apart tomorrow and post some pics.

@conspiccus I hope this is of help. It was filthy, thank god i do no chill. Its handy to have a selection of small and large SS washers ,rubber rings and flat rubber washers. Many variations work just needs to be tight and use plumbers tape.
DSC_0045.JPG
DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0044.JPG
    DSC_0044.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_0044.JPG
    DSC_0044.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0046.JPG
    DSC_0046.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 62
I’m looking to get either a burco or a buffalo boiler to convert. I’d like a short squat boiler rather than a tall thin one. What’s the height and inner diameter of a burco 30 or 40 litre boiler?
Same question to any buffalo owners too.

I’m looking to get either a burco or a buffalo boiler to convert. I’d like a short squat boiler rather than a tall thin one. What’s the height and inner diameter of a burco 30 or 40 litre boiler?
Same question to any buffalo owners too.

40 ltr Buffao is 38 cm across ... internal depth is 37 cm ...external is 51 cm

I just had a look on the nisbets website:
40L buffalo boiler: 630(H) x 433(W) x 433(D)mm
30L buffalo boiler: 519(H) x 433(W) x 433(D)mm
I'm pretty sure those heights are external
I want the internal dimensions because I want to use a brew bucket instead of a bag for a biab system. I also want to try and fit a herms coil between the bucket and the boiler wall so I can both recirculate wort and feed in coldish sparge water and have the mash/kettle heat it up prior to it being pumped up to the sparge arm.

I want the internal dimensions because I want to use a brew bucket instead of a bag for a biab system. I also want to try and fit a herms coil between the bucket and the boiler wall so I can both recirculate wort and feed in coldish sparge water and have the mash/kettle heat it up prior to it being pumped up to the sparge arm.
I have a smaller 20l boiler which has been converted into a heat exchanger with 10mtrs of 10mm copper pipe which greatly reduces access never mind the reduction in liquid.
I think if you're thinking of a herms these are ideal with a small footprint and I also have a 30l burco boiler which was great to recirculate with a 12v pump.
The setup your looking would need to be around 50ltrs to accommodate your loss and restriction.

I just had a look on the nisbets website:
40L buffalo boiler: 630(H) x 433(W) x 433(D)mm
30L buffalo boiler: 519(H) x 433(W) x 433(D)mm
I'm pretty sure those heights are external
@ MartinD
Mine is the Buffalo CC193 40 litre model, my measurements I gave you are correct, I measured it last night and checked now, just the same size as last night, (although in mm this time not cm) 380mm across the top, 370mm internal from lip to bottom, 510 cm from lip to base external.
I suppose if you went to the edge of the handles and the top of the knob on the lid you could make it bigger than the measurements I gave you which were internal ones you asked for as well as the external height.
Can check again and try inches if you prefer ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back