Mojito Kilju

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

LisaMC

Landlady.
Reaction score
Small update on the mojito kilju - it is clearing at the moment. Only took 5 days to ferment to the sweetness I wanted it at.

It is REALLY REALLY good! Who would have thought such simple (and cheap) ingredients would make something so yummy?

If you like Mojitos you need this! I have my bottle of coconut rum at the ready so I can make a coconut mojito - maybe add a splash of soda too. Definitely going to try a (dry!) carbonated version of this next month!

Forgot to mention I added more mint and lime (in secondary) and left it overnight as I wanted the flavours a little stronger. Now it's perfect! It needs to hurry up and clear though! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
Small update on the mojito kilju - it is clearing at the moment. Only took 5 days to ferment to the sweetness I wanted it at.

It is REALLY REALLY good! Who would have thought such simple (and cheap) ingredients would make something so yummy?

If you like Mojitos you need this! I have my bottle of coconut rum at the ready so I can make a coconut mojito - maybe add a splash of soda too. Definitely going to try a (dry!) carbonated version of this next month!

Forgot to mention I added more mint and lime (in secondary) and left it overnight as I wanted the flavours a little stronger. Now it's perfect! It needs to hurry up and clear though! :rolleyes:
Definitely trying this now. How do you make sure the mint is "sanitised"?

LisaMC

Landlady.
Reaction score
To be honest I don't bother. I assume the manufacturers have taken steps to make it sanitary. You could add a campden tablet to the must if you wanted but then you have to wait 12 hours. Up to you which way you prefer. 😊

P.S. I stopped my fermentation at 1.014 as it was at 10.8% or something and I didn't really want it to be stronger than that as I thought it would ruin the delicate flavours. In hindsight it's a touch too sweet for my personal tastes but everyone is different.

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
To be honest I don't bother. I assume the manufacturers have taken steps to make it sanitary. You could add a campden tablet to the must if you wanted but then you have to wait 12 hours. Up to you which way you prefer. 😊
Will just give it a bash then. And what yeast did you use?

LisaMC

Landlady.
Reaction score
This is how it looks now. Forgive the plastic, it was just easier to de-gas in this container.

B886B7C4-4C6E-486B-AFD7-F6FC90A33416.jpeg

I will have to put through a cheesecloth I think as there’s some tiny bits of mint in there

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
I used the young's super wine yeast compound.
Thanks for your help Lisa. I'm a beer man and have no idea about wines and this seems like wine tekkers so forgive the daft questions..... Would I need to degas if I planned to carb it up, either by priming or by force?

LisaMC

Landlady.
Reaction score
To be honest I've never carbed anything yet so I'm unsure, but from what I understand you de-gas and clear to get rid of most of the yeast, then re-yeast and add the priming sugar with some Lalvin EC1118.

You are very welcome.

If mine has even a hint of a haze when it's finished I'll use some pectolase next time. Always paranoid with fruit juices.

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
To be honest I've never carbed anything yet so I'm unsure, but from what I understand you de-gas and clear to get rid of most of the yeast, then re-yeast and add the priming sugar with some Lalvin EC1118.

You are very welcome.

If mine has even a hint of a haze when it's finished I'll use some pectolase next time. Always paranoid with fruit juices.
Will order some wine yeast and get to work 👍

LisaMC

Landlady.
Reaction score
If I make this again and carbonate it next time, will putting fresh lime juice in before I carbonate affect the yeast in any way and stop it carbonating so well? :confused:

johncrobinson

Landlord.
Reaction score
Yeast prefer a somewhat acid environment so lime juice a go go. athumb..

Its one of the reasons yeast can suppress bacterial infections.

johncrobinson

Landlord.
Reaction score
Do keep us updated Lisa esp what it tastes like when finished.
I never made these sort of brews in my earlier days,So most interested. athumb..

LisaMC

Landlady.
Reaction score
Will do John. It’s clearing nicely now. I’m hoping to bottle and be drinking it by the weekend. 🙂

LisaMC

Landlady.
Reaction score
So my Mojito Kilju is now bottled. I got 5 bottles out of it and a rather large glass so it’d be rude not to try it! 😁

It was crystal clear after fining, but now there is a haze as I added some more lime juice and zest - I’m ok with that, but in hindsight I’ll fine it after the lime next time.

As you can see I’ve made a cocktail with some cheapo coconut rum liqueur and some lime soda (both from Aldi). It is gorgeous on it’s own but even yummier mixed like this! 😍

I stopped my fermentation at 1.014 as it was at 10.8%. If using as a mixer perhaps a tad on the sweet side I reckon.

Definitely recommend giving it a go and tweaking to your liking! Like I say it is so cheap to make and it doesn’t need ageing at all. Ready in about 2 weeks - depends how much you faff though! 🙈😂👍🏻

Please let me know if you try it and what you think! Thanks CS Mead for the idea!

Something to note - it’s addictive! And the sweeter you make it the more addictive it is (I’m guessing). Clearly my opinion only! 😇

422F0E08-BA8F-4A15-93C7-C62FC9E5CFDF.jpeg

E1F80A87-BF33-404C-B541-46CFD86F2EA5.jpeg

Last edited:

clib

Regular.
Reaction score
I like mojito but kilju is new to me. I have mint in the garden and limes in the fruit bowl. Game on! Thanks.