Mojito Kilju

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small update on the mojito kilju - it is clearing at the moment. Only took 5 days to ferment to the sweetness I wanted it at.

It is REALLY REALLY good! Who would have thought such simple (and cheap) ingredients would make something so yummy?

If you like Mojitos you need this! I have my bottle of coconut rum at the ready so I can make a coconut mojito - maybe add a splash of soda too. Definitely going to try a (dry!) carbonated version of this next month!

Forgot to mention I added more mint and lime (in secondary) and left it overnight as I wanted the flavours a little stronger. Now it's perfect! It needs to hurry up and clear though! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Small update on the mojito kilju - it is clearing at the moment. Only took 5 days to ferment to the sweetness I wanted it at.

It is REALLY REALLY good! Who would have thought such simple (and cheap) ingredients would make something so yummy?

If you like Mojitos you need this! I have my bottle of coconut rum at the ready so I can make a coconut mojito - maybe add a splash of soda too. Definitely going to try a (dry!) carbonated version of this next month!

Forgot to mention I added more mint and lime (in secondary) and left it overnight as I wanted the flavours a little stronger. Now it's perfect! It needs to hurry up and clear though! :rolleyes:
Definitely trying this now. How do you make sure the mint is "sanitised"?

To be honest I don't bother. I assume the manufacturers have taken steps to make it sanitary. You could add a campden tablet to the must if you wanted but then you have to wait 12 hours. Up to you which way you prefer. šŸ˜Š

P.S. I stopped my fermentation at 1.014 as it was at 10.8% or something and I didn't really want it to be stronger than that as I thought it would ruin the delicate flavours. In hindsight it's a touch too sweet for my personal tastes but everyone is different.

To be honest I don't bother. I assume the manufacturers have taken steps to make it sanitary. You could add a campden tablet to the must if you wanted but then you have to wait 12 hours. Up to you which way you prefer. šŸ˜Š
Will just give it a bash then. And what yeast did you use?

This is how it looks now. Forgive the plastic, it was just easier to de-gas in this container.

B886B7C4-4C6E-486B-AFD7-F6FC90A33416.jpeg

I will have to put through a cheesecloth I think as thereā€™s some tiny bits of mint in there

I used the young's super wine yeast compound.
Thanks for your help Lisa. I'm a beer man and have no idea about wines and this seems like wine tekkers so forgive the daft questions..... Would I need to degas if I planned to carb it up, either by priming or by force?

To be honest I've never carbed anything yet so I'm unsure, but from what I understand you de-gas and clear to get rid of most of the yeast, then re-yeast and add the priming sugar with some Lalvin EC1118.

You are very welcome.

If mine has even a hint of a haze when it's finished I'll use some pectolase next time. Always paranoid with fruit juices.

To be honest I've never carbed anything yet so I'm unsure, but from what I understand you de-gas and clear to get rid of most of the yeast, then re-yeast and add the priming sugar with some Lalvin EC1118.

You are very welcome.

If mine has even a hint of a haze when it's finished I'll use some pectolase next time. Always paranoid with fruit juices.

Will order some wine yeast and get to work šŸ‘

So my Mojito Kilju is now bottled. I got 5 bottles out of it and a rather large glass so itā€™d be rude not to try it! šŸ˜

It was crystal clear after fining, but now there is a haze as I added some more lime juice and zest - Iā€™m ok with that, but in hindsight Iā€™ll fine it after the lime next time.

As you can see Iā€™ve made a cocktail with some cheapo coconut rum liqueur and some lime soda (both from Aldi). It is gorgeous on itā€™s own but even yummier mixed like this! šŸ˜

I stopped my fermentation at 1.014 as it was at 10.8%. If using as a mixer perhaps a tad on the sweet side I reckon.

Definitely recommend giving it a go and tweaking to your liking! Like I say it is so cheap to make and it doesnā€™t need ageing at all. Ready in about 2 weeks - depends how much you faff though! šŸ™ˆšŸ˜‚šŸ‘šŸ»

Please let me know if you try it and what you think! Thanks CS Mead for the idea!

Something to note - itā€™s addictive! And the sweeter you make it the more addictive it is (Iā€™m guessing). Clearly my opinion only! šŸ˜‡

422F0E08-BA8F-4A15-93C7-C62FC9E5CFDF.jpeg

E1F80A87-BF33-404C-B541-46CFD86F2EA5.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back