Mojito Kilju

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Mojito Kilju attempt is underway. Just used the one bunch of mint as it seemed rather a lot. Added the peel from 3 limes (no juice yet). Started out looking like this yesterday before adding the sugar water (and the yeast nutrient and yeast):

Kilju01.jpg

Today it is bubbling away and looks like this:

Kilju02.jpg

I did have a slight feeling that I should add a bit more sugar than 1.2KG, but I'm trusting Lisa's recipe/experience on this.

My Mojito Kilju attempt is underway. Just used the one bunch of mint as it seemed rather a lot. Added the peel from 3 limes (no juice yet). Started out looking like this yesterday before adding the sugar water (and the yeast nutrient and yeast):

View attachment 51558

Today it is bubbling away and looks like this:

View attachment 51559

I did have a slight feeling that I should add a bit more sugar than 1.2KG, but I'm trusting Lisa's recipe/experience on this.

Wow that looks like a big bunch of mint! Yeah for my tastes I think that 1.2kg of sugar gives the right alcohol level or it might be too ‘hot’ tasting. It will of course go dry (dependent on yeast) and you’ll need to back sweeten to taste (or stop it early). I used the Young’s generic one I think. The yeast would have been happier with some more acid but it’ll still do the job hopefully. I hope you enjoy it! For what it costs to make I think it’s a winner!

Wow that looks like a big bunch of mint! Yeah for my tastes I think that 1.2kg of sugar gives the right alcohol level or it might be too ‘hot’ tasting. It will of course go dry (dependent on yeast) and you’ll need to back sweeten to taste (or stop it early). I used the Young’s generic one I think. The yeast would have been happier with some more acid but it’ll still do the job hopefully. I hope you enjoy it! For what it costs to make I think it’s a winner!

Do you think I should add some lime juice now or give it a week? In the YouTube guide they seemed to suggest that adding it early in the fermentation could lead to a vinegar taste.

Sometimes they talk absolute rubbish on that channel - yeast prefers a more acid environment. If you've watched the video of theirs, theirs gets stuck at 1.060. That's because they don't add any citric acid and yeast nutrient. Yes I would definitely add the juice of a couple of limes as you don't want to risk a sulphur smell from stressed yeast.

I would add some at the end too. The lime juice you put in now is to help the yeast - it probably won't come through in the final taste. I always add more after stabilising (leave it 24-48 hours) and then you won't have any dulled lime flavour.

Sometimes they talk absolute rubbish on that channel - yeast prefers a more acid environment. If you've watched the video of theirs, theirs gets stuck at 1.060. That's because they don't add any citric acid and yeast nutrient. Yes I would definitely add the juice of a couple of limes as you don't want to risk a sulphur smell from stressed yeast.

I would add some at the end too. The lime juice you put in now is to help the yeast - it probably won't come through in the final taste. I always add more after stabilising (leave it 24-48 hours) and then you won't have any dulled lime flavour.

Well that was exciting!

Squeezed and added some lime juice and gave the demijohn a swirl and the airlock went from vigorous bubbling to full on boiling for a minute. 😲

It's hard to tell with all the mint but there doesn't seem to be much of a yeast head forming. Any reason not to top up the demijohn with boiled water today?

Top up plan has been abandoned for today. Now the boiled water has had a chance to cool I checked the Demijohn again and the fermentation is coming up through the airlock. It could be a coincidence as we are about 48 hours in, but it seems to have gone into absolute overdrive since adding the lime juice.

So I’ve gone and done it, and put another batch of mojito kilju on lol. 12L this time, with a lower SG of 1.062. I’ve put in it this time:-

2kg sugar
Zest and juice of 4 limes (used a microplane for the zesting, makes it super easy and you get zero pith).
Pectolase
Yeast nutrient
3 bunches of mint
Young's super wine yeast compound (old so might not work) If not I have a sachet of EC1118 in the fridge.

Should get something just over 10% according to my hydrometer. Perfect. I am going to let it go dry and then stabilise and back sweeten. I have another four limes for at the end. Hopefully they won’t go off 🙈. Might add the coconut rum before bottling this time too. Haven’t decided yet!

AA3032CC-9BB3-4771-B28D-06BCD3B850E0.jpeg
CFF3EEB1-770E-4952-B25C-152F3BA2ADCD.jpeg

Last edited:
So I’ve gone and done it, and put another batch of mojito kilju on lol. 12L this time, with a lower starting SG of 1.062. I’ve put in it this time:-

2kg sugar
Zest and juice of 4 limes (used a microplane for the zesting, makes it super easy and you get zero pith).
Pectolase
Yeast nutrient
3 bunches of mint
Young's super wine yeast compound (old so might not work) If not I have a sachet of EC1118 in the fridge.

Should get something just over 10% according to my hydrometer. Perfect. I am going to let it go dry and then stabilise and back sweeten. I have another four limes for at the end. Hopefully they won’t go off 🙈. Might add the coconut rum before bottling this time too. Haven’t decided yet!

View attachment 59357View attachment 59358
May be wrong but I think even if completely dry it won't reach 10% maybe 9, not very much difference but still easy to get drunk on

Yes you are right, my hydrometer tells lies lol.

I've worked out if it gets to 1.000 it'll be 8.4. It'll probably go below that though - and I'm going to fortify it with coconut rum anyway so it'll be stronger.

Here is my calculation:-

1.062 - 1.000 = 0.062
0.062 * 135.87 = 8.42
Yeah my calculation was to 990 but I always remove 0.5% because although it may seem I'm crazy I'm sure you never get 100% conversion sugar to alcohol, at least a small amount will not be in the end product

It's really not important what it ends up at, in my opinion. Not worth bothering yourself with. It's just wine!
Oh in my experience it is a problem, my dad likes strong wine and I calculated 4% off and it came at 10% instead of just over 14, he noticed and said my skills are going downhil hahahaha

I dont make this.So this is just an observation.
As Lisa MC says the youtube vid was indeed a bit of an oups up.

Yeast needs nutrient which makes fermenting sugar/water solutions not so simple as it first appears.Unless that which may not be disscussed here is employed.

Its why I stick to fermenting fruit juice.

Latest posts

Back