Mojito Wine 6 bottle recipe fermented dry in 4 days!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry but I couldn't disagree more, every kit i have made instructs you to degas and the article below explains why you should.

Why Should You Degas Wine

To answer all your doubts, let’s start with the first question. And the answer is very simple. You should degas wine because carbon dioxide has a negative impact on the characteristics of your wine.

Carbon dioxide forms in wine, and in all fermented beverages, as a matter of fact, as a natural consequence of the action of the yeasts. If you’ve done homemade beer or cider before getting your hands into winemaking, you probably never worried about carbon dioxide too much, as some bubbles are more than welcome in these drinks. However, things are different in the case of wine, especially if you’re making a still variety.

As far as winemaking is concerned, carbon dioxide actually dissipates by itself with the time, therefore there is no need to degas wine if you are following a traditional winemaking method and are planning to leave your beverage to age in a barrel for a few long months before bottling.

Nevertheless, since most enthusiasts are eager to see their beverage in the bottle as soon as possible, wine degassing can allow you to bottle the wine even after six weeks from the production.

By now, you might be wondering why wine degassing is important. There are various reasons why you should degas wine if you’re not planning to leave it to mature in a barrel. The most important is because carbon dioxide changes both the flavor and the aroma of the wine, most of the times in a negative way. The only reason why you should want carbon dioxide in your beverage is if you are specifically making a sparkling white or rosé.

However, if your purpose is that of making a still wine, carbon dioxide will not only cause it to be somehow fizzy, but it will also give the wine a metallic and slightly acid taste. Regarding the aroma, it will also suffer and you won’t be able to smell the true bouquet of your wine.

Apart from that, the carbonated effect is highly undesirable in almost all wines, and especially in red wines.

Moreover, the carbon dioxide also prevents the proper clearing of your beverage. This might be less visible and annoying in the case of red wines, but your white will most likely stay blur instead of clear, which is a major mistake.

https://wineturtle.com/degas-wine/

This isn't really relevant @Chippy_Tea

I didn't state that you will achieve a clear wine by adding finnings without degassing.

I stated that finnings will remove around 90% of the sediment and they will. They just won't remove 100% of the sediment hence the finished drink won't be clear. It will be hazy.

The post you linked to does not contradict this. It simply stated that you must degass a wine to achieve complete and quick clarity of the wine.

Adding finnings is excellent for removing most of the sediment from ciders, beers and Seltzer's without needing to degas. It just means you have a tiny sediment in the bottom of the bottles instead of a thick cake of it.

It's a practice which is largely used in distillation to remove the majority of sediment but not all.

This isn't really relevant @Chippy_Tea

I didn't state that you will achieve a clear wine by adding finnings without degassing.

I guess you missed my earlier post -

Sorry i hit the new post link so didn't notice it was not a traditional still wine you were discussing.

Just finished this mojito wine and it's now in the clearing stage. Just wanted to post the recipe because it tastes amazing!

Recipe

4 limes, cut in half and juiced. All added to fermenter
10 Tesco own peppermint tea bags
1kg of sugar
4 black tea bags for tannin
1 TSP citric acid
1 TSP Wilko nutrient
Half sachet EC 1118

Fermented dry to 0.995 in just 4 days at 25 degrees Celsius.

It smells amazing! Strong lime and mint aroma.

Just added finnings A and B and should be clear for a taste test in a day or two.

View attachment 63096

View attachment 63097

View attachment 63098

Fermentation complete 4 days later

View attachment 63101

Stabilized and degassed. I didn't bother to rack off as I always double dose my finnings anyway and I'm not in a rush for it to clear.

View attachment 63102
This...sounds like a plan! 😁 Definitely going in my recipe book!

Most definitely if you like a mojito. We drank it all up super quick. Tastes just like a mojito.

We served it in a high ball glass with mint leaves, and ice. And it tasted just like a mojito!!

Makes a great cider if you lower the abv to about 7% and bottle carbonate.
Nice idea. Sorry if I missed this but what was the total time frame from start to finish?
How soon were you drinking it? Did you bottle it or drink straight from the FV?
Thanks

Latest posts

Back