Mold inside bottle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globe11123

Reaction score
Quick question, I've noticed the start of what looks like black mold inside one of the bottles from a batch i bottled on the 30/4/2020.

Is this safe or should the bottles be discarded?

Also I've noticed a lot of condensation in a few bottles is this normal?

My process for bottling this batch was liquid then sugar if that has anything to do with it. I've bought myself a bottle rinser for the next batch. I rinsed them with water then swirled sanitizer in them prior to bottling

IMG_20200524_201845.jpg
IMG_20200524_201904.jpg
IMG_20200524_201929.jpg

Last edited:
Could be some of your bottles weren't as clean as you thought...or its yeast..which will settle in time. The condensation is normal...although the headspace in your bottle is a bit on the large side. About an inch or so is fine.
When cleaning your bottles they really need a good soak in an oxi type product or vwp...a good scrubbing out with a bottle brush, rinsing,then sanitising...you need to make sure any cruddy bits are removed as you can't sanitise muck.
When you drink a beer good practice is to give the bottle a good rinse in hot water at least by the next morning.
I've had a couple of spotty bottles...if they smell and taste ok....

Will get a bottle brush might purchase myself a bottle draining rack too. Is there any etiquette for the priming process i.e would you add sugar first to the bottles or last?

It's a bit hard to tell but if you think it is mold forming I'd pour it down the sink and double check the others.

As Clint said, the head space looks on the big side so I'd suggest you should fill them up a bit more too.

I usually rinse and shake my bottles with hot water from the tap about 3 times then fill them and leave them until the next morning before draining and either putting them on my bottle tree to dry or sticking them in a big plastic lidded storage box full of water with thin bleach for a few weeks. With the latter a good rinse out of cold water on bottling day and they're ready.

I just washed out 40 bottles using some hot water and a bottle brush with some dish-soap what a pain in the ass haha :laugh8:

Will use the bottle rinser contraption with some sanitizer for final tomorrow. Does it matter if there's sanitizer left in the bottle?

I just washed out 40 bottles using some hot water and a bottle brush with some dish-soap what a pain in the ass haha :laugh8:

Will use the bottle rinser contraption with some sanitizer for final tomorrow. Does it matter if there's sanitizer left in the bottle?

As long as it’s no-rinse sanitiser (e.g. StarSan), then no! Just make sure you’ve got your dilution measurements accurate.

Yeah its a no rinse sanitizer, probably could of used the sanitizer instead of soap but i made sure to rinse each bottle out with hot water after cleaning.

Is there a faster method to just doing the initial cleaning?

Bottles sit in the shed for about a month so its possible to get moldy.

Capture.JPG

I can't remember the last time a cleaned a bottle with a brush. As I say, a few decent rinses of hot water as you go drink them and they'll be mostly fine. Even better if you can keep them in a thin bleach solution between brews and then a rinse out on bottling day.

I can't remember the last time a cleaned a bottle with a brush. As I say, a few decent rinses of hot water as you go drink them and they'll be mostly fine. Even better if you can keep them in a thin bleach solution between brews and then a rinse out on bottling day.

I thought that was a bit overkill. I think its the problem of black mold growing in the bottles while resting in the shed, bleach would stop this? Or would buying a drying rack and just storing them on that be a better idea?

I do both. For longer storage I use the thin bleach method but if I know I'm brewing and bottling soonish then then go on the bottle tree to dry and then a quick sanitiser before use.

As long at they are clean you should not have a problem with either method. I don't anyway bit others have other methods too.

What ratio of bleach to water is a thin bleach solution?

i have a bottle bath that can hold 80 bottles. It’s volume is about 70 litres.

if I leave bottles submerged for a long period do I need to rinse with cold water and then rinse with a Starsan solution on an inverted bottle washer and leave to dry on a rack. Or do you omit the water rinse step?

I use the Avvinatore Vinator for Bottles. Fifteen bob and worth it. I have also a brush but that's for real challenges.

Day of drinking: rinse and shake with warm water
Day after: dish washer, bottle AND removed fliptop
Storage: a week in the pantry, then removed to the shed
Day before bottling: prepare sanitiser, fill the 'Vinator', remove fliptop and soak them in sanitiser, give every bottle 4 pushes on the vinator, attach fliptop again, store crate in pantry for the next day, because that's bottling day.

Rinse and repeat often :)

I use one of those large lidded clear plastic storage boxes.

As for measurement of bleach I use the good old 'that will do' measurement. Probably 100- 150ml to fill it up think about it but I never measure it out. The instructions on the bleach probably give an indication of dilution for uses but I've never looked.

What ratio of bleach to water is a thin bleach solution?

i have a bottle bath that can hold 80 bottles. It’s volume is about 70 litres.

if I leave bottles submerged for a long period do I need to rinse with cold water and then rinse with a Starsan solution on an inverted bottle washer and leave to dry on a rack. Or do you omit the water rinse step?
I work for a pathology company. Before this virus thingy all kicked off the people who collect the blood mixed bleach and water in spray bottles.
They used it wipe down surfaces. They still use it, but along with other things now.
It was only household bleach. Apparently when I explained this in the Covid thread some people didn't think I explained it well.:confused.:
125 ml household bleach
875 ml water
The spray bottles we use are supplied with a mark on them.
Bleach to here. Top up water to here.
I have asked if it's like an industry standard, but haven't found anyone who knows.
It's just how they've always done and no one seems to query it.

I only clean bottles in a bleach bath if they are old and grubby. It cleans them up nicely.
Like BrewMeHappy. I use the old glug, glug, glug, that'll do measurement.
Then I'll rinse with water.
Then starsan before bottling.

Thanks for the bleach responses.

Bucket Chemistry it is then.

I was more concerned that if I didn’t rinse them, then I might get a taste in my final products.

i had been leaving my bottles soaking in Sodium Percarbonate solution.

Thanks for the bleach responses.

Bucket Chemistry it is then.

I was more concerned that if I didn’t rinse them, then I might get a taste in my final products.

i had been leaving my bottles soaking in Sodium Percarbonate solution.
I would have thought Sodium Percarbonate would have been enough.

After pouring a beer I swill with water.
Then they'll get washed out with hot water.
Left to dry.
Put in garage for whenever I next bottle.
Bottling day, or night before use the Vinator with Starsan and put on bottle tree.
Also giving the bottles a quick glance to make sure there's no mould or whatever.
Any mould or dirt in them they rejected to the dirty bottle box.

I only use the bleach on bottles that I've had lying around for ages to get the really filthy ones clean.
The ones from the dirty bottle box.
Or when I was given bottles that hadn't been washed out properly. Also it's good to get the labels off.

I've got a bottle brush I bought two or three years ago. Only a few dollars worth.
I was going to saw off the plastic handle and use on a drill like Dutto.
It's still got the wrapping on it. I've never touched it.

Oh, yes. For really stubborn spots. I put a dash of dishwashing powder in the bottle and fill with hot water.
Same for removing the stains from my Thermos travel mug after using it for tea.

Sorry to bring this post back but of that same batch 30/4/2020 I've noticed another bottle with something weird.

It's difficult to capture on a picture, but theres a load of white specs resting on top the liquid.
The beer has been settling for weeks so definitely can't be yeast?

White mold forming?

IMG_20200610_173844.jpg

Better shot

IMG_20200610_175011.jpg

Latest posts

Back