Monty Python's Ministry of SIlly Beer Names

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
How many of you think names like India Pale Lager, Imperial Lager, Dark IPA are really daft? Anybody come across any others?
Found a bit of Simpson's Imperial Malt that needs using up so I'm going to do a 3½% Imperial Boys' Bitter. At least it's got something to do with the word "Imperial".

To be sure I googled the word imperial and it's official meanings and usage.
I was quite surprised..
Relating to an empire.
British, non metric measurement system.
A particular size of paper sheet.
A small pointed beard.
How about a Raja 3022 yard goatee India pale ale...all points covered there,the numerical reference being the paper size of 30x22 inches...I think! Except obviously the beard is not small..

Last edited:
Am I correct in thinking the original beer description of imperial relates to stronger types that were shipped? In particular,stout to Russia..
Is strong cider just that? Or scrumpy? Or can you actually get an imperial cider? Now there's a thought...rebadged diamond White,nice advertising campaign,the masses would be hanging out the offy.

Ha. How did that one turn out? Did the DNA tests prove positive? And even more importantly, was the beer any good?
No news about the DNA tests yet.
And unfortunately I still have to taste Cuvée Delphine yet. But I have "Tsjeeses Reserva" for this evening.
A pity is that the Struise are a bit out of my way, and it's located in the middle of nowhere.

No news about the DNA tests yet.
And unfortunately I still have to taste Cuvée Delphine yet. But I have "Tsjeeses Reserva" for this evening.
A pity is that the Struise are a bit out of my way, and it's located in the middle of nowhere.
I really must come to Belgium to see what all this stuff is about. acheers.

Latest posts

Back