More recipes from the Fuller's book.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that their IPA only has a bittering addition in the kettle. All the flavour/aroma is coming from a dry hop. And is that black pepper they're adding at the end of the boil?

Interesting that their IPA only has a bittering addition in the kettle. All the flavour/aroma is coming from a dry hop. And is that black pepper they're adding at the end of the boil?
I was reading it as Fuggles, Goldings and B.Pepper at end of boil.

Worth noting that when they say Fv hop additions at Declar (or declaration) they mean when they pitch yeast.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

I think the IPA recipe may hold a 'trick of the trade' with that black Pepper addition, using it to boost the aromatics in the hops. Had a look at the essential oils found in black pepper, amongst them are linalool (citrus, floral), limonene (orange, citrus) and pinene (spicy, piney). All prevalent in hops, with linalool being key to the perception of hoppiness.

I can't see 0.039 g/L of Black Pepper being a noticeable flavour, otherwise.

Interesting. Might have a play around with some black pepper in the new year!

So I asked...

"Am I reading that right as Black Pepper in the IPA? For a boost in Linalool, Pinene and Limonene?“

His reply...

"Yes a fun idea that seems to work- albeit in very small doses. We had fun (and some disasters ) small scale trialling how much to use."

Back