Morgans Beer Kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get them from B2B for 8.95 at the moment though, and they could easily be pimped into a very good beer I am sure.

Just called B2B and they said it's probably ok as is, not worth doing much drastic to it to try and get the FG down. I'll leave it another week to see if that helps then just bottle/keg it anyway. I agree it's the price for a 2 can kit that attracted me. I'll give it a bit of a stir tonight to see if that helps it at all.

The yeast that comes with the kits is just a generic ale yeast.
The Morgans rep told me this a few weeks ago.
I've had mixed results with Morgans, but generally OK.
I have only used the kit yeast once. This was when I was going a quick beer to restock.
And for that one I used tow kit yeasts. Got down to 1010 which is usually as far as mine go.

I've made the Frontier IPA with good results.
After a failed attempt at the Amber Ale, the latest brew of that is good. I used a recipe off the Morgans site.
I have a Blue Mountains Lager to make. This was a freebie supplied by the Morgans rep after I complained about one of their kits.
He gave me fermentables & a Morgans Lager yeast too.

The yeast that comes with the kits is just a generic ale yeast.
The Morgans rep told me this a few weeks ago.
I've had mixed results with Morgans, but generally OK.
I have only used the kit yeast once. This was when I was going a quick beer to restock.
And for that one I used tow kit yeasts. Got down to 1010 which is usually as far as mine go.

I've made the Frontier IPA with good results.
After a failed attempt at the Amber Ale, the latest brew of that is good. I used a recipe off the Morgans site.
I have a Blue Mountains Lager to make. This was a freebie supplied by the Morgans rep after I complained about one of their kits.
He gave me fermentables & a Morgans Lager yeast too.

What do you think it takes to achieve good results from them? I get the impression that using the supplied kit yeast and without "pimping" with extra ingredients they are not as well regarded as many other kits. I was thinking about buying a bunch of Morgans kits to combine for toucan/two can brewing, but can't quite shake the feeling that it may be more trouble than it's worth.

I bought several Morgan kits as the B2B offer was good. I like pale ales and the Blonde and Gold variant of their kits turned out the best. I wasn’t so impressed with their Australian bitter, not quite my taste.

What do you think it takes to achieve good results from them? I get the impression that using the supplied kit yeast and without "pimping" with extra ingredients they are not as well regarded as many other kits. I was thinking about buying a bunch of Morgans kits to combine for toucan/two can brewing, but can't quite shake the feeling that it may be more trouble than it's worth.
We have a few different kits available here in Australia but I stick mainly to Coopers & Morgans.
And I pimp both of them, 99% of the time. The only time I don't is if I'm running low on stock and need something quick.
The only other type of beer I've made is a Muntons Yorkshire Bitter. I pimped that too.
So the 99% of my beers have added hops and different yeast.
I use 04 or 05 yeast mainly. After I've brewed with them I'll put the yeast in a jar in the fridge and bring it out for next time.
A packet of yeast will probably do 4 or 5 brews.

One thing I find strange about Morgans is with their recipes is that there's a couple of beers.
Amber Ale and Frontier Pale Ale that they describe as English style.
The they'll have a recipe with them and it'll say use American style yeast.
I'll have to talk to the rep about that.

I've only ever made toucan stouts. I've seen people saying they'd thinking of using two lager tins. I've no idea how that would go.

I'm drinking this at the moment and it's not bad at all.
Rogers-style.jpg

I've only ever made toucan stouts. I've seen people saying they'd thinking of using two lager tins. I've no idea how that would go.

Presumably like a super strength lager. I won't be trying that as it's not a style I particularly like. This guy does though!

I've decided to take the plunge and have ordered some of the discounted Morgans kits with a view to doing some 2 can experiments.

Presumably like a super strength lager. I won't be trying that as it's not a style I particularly like. This guy does though!

I've decided to take the plunge and have ordered some of the discounted Morgans kits with a view to doing some 2 can experiments.

I'll watch it later.
I vaguely remember in my earlier 20's having the odd can of Red Stripe or maybe a Carlsberg strong lager.
Although looking up Red Stripe now it's only 4.7%
Doesn't really interest me to be honest, but each to their own.
The toucan stouts are good though. I have used Morgans for those.

I'm going to make this one today.
Crown Lager is a beer that is / was seen as a bit better than other Lagers here in Australia. A premium beer.
The kind of beer that you were given a six pack at Christmas from a customer or someone thanking you.
Personally I've never been taken by it really. But it's a freebie from Morgans as the last BML I made was bloody awful.
I'll make it and give six packs to people at work to try.
Crown-Lager-style.jpg

I'll watch it later.
I vaguely remember in my earlier 20's having the odd can of Red Stripe or maybe a Carlsberg strong lager.
Although looking up Red Stripe now it's only 4.7%
Doesn't really interest me to be honest, but each to their own.
The toucan stouts are good though. I have used Morgans for those.

I'm going to make this one today.
Crown Lager is a beer that is / was seen as a bit better than other Lagers here in Australia. A premium beer.
The kind of beer that you were given a six pack at Christmas from a customer or someone thanking you.
Personally I've never been taken by it really. But it's a freebie from Morgans as the last BML I made was bloody awful.
I'll make it and give six packs to people at work to try.
Crown-Lager-style.jpg
When you say toucan, are you literally putting two kits together in on FV at say 25 L?
Mainly AG myself so this is new to me.

When you say toucan, are you literally putting two kits together in on FV at say 25 L?

Yes. Either double up the same kit or mix and match. You can leave out the sugar completely, or add (say) 1KG for a strong brew. I suppose you could still put in 2KG if you were trying to go full on imperial stout/barely wine territory.

One that I evidently stumbled into by accident! My Australian Monster

I'm thinking that my next Toucan attempt will be a 1.7KG Morgans Dockside Stout and a 1.7KG Morgans Ironbark Dark Ale with 1KG of brewing sugar.
That should be good. I usually make the toucans with Coopers, but have used the Morgans. Just as good.
I steep 250 grams of Choc Malt in mine too.

Yes, as already explained by Random Badger.

I generally only do stouts that way. I've never felt inclined to do Lagers.
And to be honest watching that video hasn't changed my mind.

Oh yeah I've make a trican too. Coopers Imperial Russian Stout.
There's a thread about it on here somewhere. Glad I made it to see what it was all about.
Wouldn't bother again though. Still got a case or more in the garage two and a half years later.
Not that good tasting and about 10%

Last edited:
I bought several Morgan kits as the B2B offer was good. I like pale ales and the Blonde and Gold variant of their kits turned out the best. I wasn’t so impressed with their Australian bitter, not quite my taste.

What condition were the cans in? My Morgans kits arrived from Brew2Bottle with an array of dents that presumably happened before packaging as the external box is undamaged. The Iron Bark Dark Ale looks as though it's been dropped and then someone tried to chew the can for good measure!

Morgans.jpg

That should be good. I usually make the toucans with Coopers, but have used the Morgans. Just as good.
I steep 250 grams of Choc Malt in mine too.

It's going to be my next brew as soon as the fermenter is free. I think I should get on and use the Iron Bark Dark Ale as the can arrived in poor shape.

I'm wondering what to do about yeast for my Toucan as there seem to be quite a few reports of stuck/slow fermentations with Morgans kits. I can either chuck in the two packets of the Morgans yeast, or use a spare packet I have that came with a Coopers stout kit.

It's going to be my next brew as soon as the fermenter is free. I think I should get on and use the Iron Bark Dark Ale as the can arrived in poor shape.

I'm wondering what to do about yeast for my Toucan as there seem to be quite a few reports of stuck/slow fermentations with Morgans kits. I can either chuck in the two packets of the Morgans yeast, or use a spare packet I have that came with a Coopers stout kit.
The only time I've used Morgans yeast I used two packets. And that for for a pale ale.
Didn't turn out too bad, but I usually use 04 yeast for that style.

If I were you I'd put in one of the Morgans kit yeasts and the spare Coopers one you have that should do it.}
When I make toucan stouts I always use both kit yeasts. But I've never made a Morgans toucan as such.
A couple have been Morgans / Coopers and I've just used both kit yeasts.

The pic of that Dark Ale tin reminds me of people complaining about how Coopers kits arrive in the post here in Australia.
The state of that can you'd be paying half price for that if you bought it like that in a homebrew store.

The only time I've used Morgans yeast I used two packets. And that for for a pale ale.
Didn't turn out too bad, but I usually use 04 yeast for that style.

If I were you I'd put in one of the Morgans kit yeasts and the spare Coopers one you have that should do it.}
When I make toucan stouts I always use both kit yeasts. But I've never made a Morgans toucan as such.
A couple have been Morgans / Coopers and I've just used both kit yeasts.

The pic of that Dark Ale tin reminds me of people complaining about how Coopers kits arrive in the post here in Australia.
The state of that can you'd be paying half price for that if you bought it like that in a homebrew store.

Interesting idea - I hadn't thought about combining two different yeasts in the same brew.

I'll drop Brew2Bottle a line about the damaged cans and see what they say.

Just put 2 morgans kits together a 'Stockmans Draught' and a 'Canadian IPA'. They were done with 1/2 a can of Morgans Pale Master Malt each and 500g brewing sugar. OG for both was 1.042 and I fermented them a bit hot at around the 25C mark as I was concerned about getting a stuck fermentation as others have described here. It's been 6 days and I took another gravity reading at 1.012 which is a bit higher than I was hoping (would prefer to be 1.01 or less tbh). They ripped like mad for the first couple of days then did not a lot after. Is it worth trying to pitch a different yeast to finish them off? Or some enzyme?
Ended up just going through the process with these and leaving them for 2 weeks before kegging one and bottling the other (bottled one on 21/05/21 kegged the other on 20/05/21). They seem to have carbed up ok so I can only assume they are done. Aim is to leave for 2 weeks at around 25degC to ensure full carbonation then cool, they are both clear already so no worries on that front. The Canadian IPA currently tastes like stale old lager and the Stockmans Draught tastes slightly better but somewhere halfway between lager and ale and not that great. Not sure whether it's worth trying to lager one or both of them at around freezing in the fridge or just leave them out in the shed at about 18-20degC?

Latest posts

Back