Morgans Beer Kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karakitten

Reaction score
Anyone tried these ..
Stockist Brew2Bottle ( A Very Good Company )
? Made by a Coopers Subsidurary ..
Husband loves Stout / Dark Ales ... & would like to know more !
Reviews welcome ...

There are one or two people talking about them on here.
Morgans Golden Sheaf Wheat Beer 1.7kg Kit Can

Reviews aren't good so far. I've make the Frontier IPA a lot.
I've had good results with the Pilsner, but the last Blue Mountains Lager was so bad I wrote and complained.
Sorry can't help you with the Stout. The only time I made it I added a can of Coopers Dark Ale for a toucan.

There's been a bit of a discussion about who actually owns Morgans on the Coopers Forum this week.
Coopers, Morgans, Homebrand...

Thanks for reply !
Have just read the Coopers Forum posts regarding the above topic !
Husband is from Sydney ( Australia ! ) & he fancied trying another Aussie Stout kit , apart from Coopers...
Saw these are on offer from Brew2Bottle at mainly £9.95 a can as part of Black Friday week offers !
Available from The HomeBrew Shop it appears as well.
Will think about these , as opposed to Coopers Original / Irish Stout !
May try Morgan's Dockside Stout ...& compare the 2 !

Last edited:
Thanks for reply !
Husband is from Sydney ( Australia ! ) & he fancied trying another Aussie Stout kit , apart from Coopers...
Saw these are on offer from Brew2Bottle at mainly £9.95 a can as part of Black Friday week offers !
Tell your Hubby I was up on the roof this morning putting up the Christmas lights.
Luckily I was just finishing off what I started yesterday.
38.8 Celsius! It's going to hotter at the weekend.

Thanks for reply !
You won't go far wrong with a Coopers Stout kit, or which there are two. There are long review threads here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/coopers-irish-stout-review.17818/https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/coopers-original-stout-review.17817/For me the jury is out on these Morgans kits. In addition to the Wheat Beer I also have the Pacific Pale Ale on the go at present, with a Frontier IPA yet to do.
Pacific thread here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/morgans-pacific-pale-ale-1-7kg-kit-can.90944/If you are undecided whether to go for either Coopers or Morgans my advice at present is to stay with Coopers, which have mostly worked out well for me in the past.

You won't go far wrong with a Coopers Stout kit, or which there are two. There are long review threads here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/coopers-irish-stout-review.17818/https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/coopers-original-stout-review.17817/For me the jury is out on these Morgans kits. In addition to the Wheat Beer I also have the Pacific Pale Ale on the go at present, with a Frontier IPA yet to do.
Pacific thread here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/morgans-pacific-pale-ale-1-7kg-kit-can.90944/If you are undecided whether to go for either Coopers or Morgans my advice at present is to stay with Coopers, which have mostly worked out well for me in the past.

Thanks !
Have done both Coopers Original & Irish Stout many times & liked both equally ( used 1.2 LME for last kit ).
Will be getting Coopers obviously again as fast / reliable / consistent kits , especially the Original Stout.
Will probably try the Morgans Dockside Stout or Dark Old Ale just to see ... & compare .!!

Will stick with Coopers & just started the Coopers International Irish Stout !
Without starting another thread on here ....... anyone done the Coopers Brew A IPA kit ?
How does is compare to St Austell Proper Job & if not what 1 tin kit is similar ?
Replies & advice welcome !!

I brewed the Morgans Stockman's Draught before Christmas- supposedly a pub style Aussi draught. Having spent some time in Oz, I was looking forward to this. Brewed with kit yeast, which i think was a mistake, and it tuned out...ok. Not the best, and not much like a draught aussi beer. I drank them, but can't say I really enjoyed them. Hasn't really inspired me to try any of the others from the range to be honest.

I have a Morgans Iron Bark Dark Ale kit ready to to go once the Muntons Imperial has had it's week of secondary in the brew fridge. Can't find any reviews of it, has anyone done this kit and what did they think of it?

Husband really interested to see how this one of your's goes.... he loves Dark Beers ! ! ( Morgans Frontier IPA proved uninspiring ! ) Trying Muntons Gold Docklands Porter next ....

Last edited:
Husband really interested to see how this one of your's goes.... he loves Dark Beers ! ! ( Morgans Frontier IPA proved uninspiring ! ) Gold London Porter nextTrying Muntons
The Frontier IPA is the one I make most. Using an old Coopers recipe for the IPA that they discontinued.
It's popular with my English friends.

1.7kg Morgans IPA
500g Light Dry Malt
300g Crystal Malt
30g Fuggles Hop Pellets
One sachet of S-04 yeast

Last edited:
I have a Morgans Iron Bark Dark Ale kit ready to to go once the Muntons Imperial has had it's week of secondary in the brew fridge. Can't find any reviews of it, has anyone done this kit and what did they think of it?
I haven't made that one. After what I thought were quite reasonable goes at Morgans kits I've had a couple of disasters.
Including a Blue Mountains Lager that was terrible. So bad I contacted Morgans. I thought their customer service wasn't that great.
Eventually I got put onto the sales rep who seems to know what he's on about. I was due to meet him for coffee when he visited a local store a few weeks back.
Unfortunately that was put off due the floods we had at the time. He contacted me yesterday to rearrange for next week, but I have to work.
Shame as I would have loved to have picked his brains.

But what I would say is that the yeast Morgans supply is a generic ale yeast. Personally I think with darker beers you can probably get away with that.
But for Coopers APA, Morgans IPA or Lagers I prefer to use a good packet of yeast, not kit yeast.

I was wondering if you'd be able to collect some of the yeast slurry from the Muntons brew and maybe use that?

Or check out the Coopers website for recipes on their dark ale and see what they suggest.
There's a spreadsheet someone made of the Coopers recipes too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11L2HUoRYvogpCMoooMcvwnxSby35VOBO/view?usp=sharing

Interesting response, unfortunately I chucked the slurry out - I never thought to use it for the next brew. Not to worry. I'll put the kit on this week and see how we go.

Brought quite a few Morgans kits whilst on offer with Brew2bottle £8.95 with the intention of doing Toucans with them . Just started the Blonde kit adding 100g wheat DME to 25L to fill 5 x 5L minikegs.
On opening the cans the smell of hops was far more noticable than any other kit I've used.
Interesting to read the instructions recommend a fermenting temperature of 25C .

Just put 2 morgans kits together a 'Stockmans Draught' and a 'Canadian IPA'. They were done with 1/2 a can of Morgans Pale Master Malt each and 500g brewing sugar. OG for both was 1.042 and I fermented them a bit hot at around the 25C mark as I was concerned about getting a stuck fermentation as others have described here. It's been 6 days and I took another gravity reading at 1.012 which is a bit higher than I was hoping (would prefer to be 1.01 or less tbh). They ripped like mad for the first couple of days then did not a lot after. Is it worth trying to pitch a different yeast to finish them off? Or some enzyme?

I did the Stockman's as mentioned above. I used a kilo of enhancer and my OG was 1.040 and it finished at 1.010, so you're probably about there. Not sure the kit yeast is very good imho. I have just been tempted to try another Morgans Kit as B2B had them on a deal (amazing how fickle I am when I see a bargain :cool:) and got a Blue Mountain Lager, but I'll be adding a kilo of LDME and using the MJ Cali Lager Yeast for this one.

I've come close to buying some of the Morgans kits with a view to doing some two can brews, but on searching for more information found lacklustre reports that put me off. It certainly sounds as though the included yeast isn't great and so it would seem wise to use something else.

Back