Motor for grain mill?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t have a grain mill but most people seem to attach an electric drill.

To drive your mill look for low speed / high torque. e.g. Metabo SBE 1100. This has speed selection and enough power not to stall. You may be able to find something with similar specs but much cheaper - fine for this type of service.

Hi!
Car windscreen wiper motors have high torque, but I have read that they don't last very long as they are designed for infrequent use.

Off the topic I know but where I live, car wiper motors are commonly used on winches for winding in up to 2 km of fishing line, with all the hooks, fish and a gadget on the end known as a fishing torpedo which took the line out in the first place.......

And I have a spare one here so thanks for the idea, will have a look for powering my mill in place of the drill I use presently acheers.athumb..

To drive your mill look for low speed / high torque. e.g. Metabo SBE 1100. This has speed selection and enough power not to stall. You may be able to find something with similar specs but much cheaper - fine for this type of service.

A Metabo BZ 12SP drill turns my 6" wide 2-roller mill at 250 RPM, and crushes 1.75Kg grain a minute. It runs for 8 minutes before the battery needs recharging. Only takes a minute to connect to the mill, so why bother sourcing a separate type of motor?

A Metabo BZ 12SP drill turns my 6" wide 2-roller mill at 250 RPM, and crushes 1.75Kg grain a minute. It runs for 8 minutes before the battery needs recharging. Only takes a minute to connect to the mill, so why bother sourcing a separate type of motor?
Hi!
How lucky you are!
My drills won't budge a grain mill, so an alternative source of power is needed.

Back