Motorbike.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried fj1100/1200 UK group on Facebook. I had lots of help until my fj12 finally died. Some one on there might be able to source parts for you.

No, cos I'm not nor ever will be on facebook. I'll get the missus to have a look on my behalf if the new un ain't right. Thanks. What did your fudge die of? I've every confidence that mine, engine at least, will quite easily outlive me. And parts for that are easy cos it lives on in the XJR series.

I had a lovely ride-out to Bury Hill this morning in the not-too-hot sun, which is a caff just north of Arundel in Sussex and well known by many bikers within a 50 mile radius. I go there from time to time.
As I sat down sipping my tea and looking at the ever changing bikes parked up and coming and going I realised how diverse biking is. Not only the bikes, which this morning was an average 100 plus with anything from a pair of very shiny R1s cuddled up next to each other, to a huge Harley which must have weighed nearly 400kg with a large bloke on top and an old rigid Triumph, to the folks who ride them of all shapes sizes and age let alone gender with clothing as equally varied.
And then there is riding style, the knee down screamers waiting for the next accident, fast but safe BMW riders, and a woman (no disrespect) who was on a large sports bike but going round the corners as I followed her really really carefully.
I love biking, and when I can't ride any more, for whatever reason, I shall miss it.

I had pre-divvy XJ900. Great bike but had to go so I could pay the rent. Misery and woe ensued, remedied by the purchase of a kwak 900R!

I love the divi. All the plus points of the xj without all that weight plus the very civilised shaft drive. But I still don't understand why both were only given 5 gears.

Funny about shaft drives as alot of them have only five as my GS is the same.... smooth though.

Gerry

Maybe it's cos they're not considered 'sporty' and don't need close-ratio gears but ye - the FJ should be a shaftie. Mind you, I made my own semi-automatic chain oiler (visible in the pics) and I swear I've never had to adjust the chain since I fitted it.

Maybe it's cos they're not considered 'sporty' and don't need close-ratio gears but ye - the FJ should be a shaftie. Mind you, I made my own semi-automatic chain oiler (visible in the pics) and I swear I've never had to adjust the chain since I fitted it.
Gunge seriously you and your pics,two in a row..m

Gerry

I want to get a bike very badly. I did my CBT, and the plan was to get a 125 to run about on and do my direct access once I had some road experience, but I never quite had the money for the bike and gear. I'll probably have to re-do the CBT this September and get the bike next spring :(

I'm interested in cruisers, really; I'd only be a weekend rider, though I suppose a commute isn't out of the question. I was thinking of getting the 90's learner classic to start off with, an SR125. I like the look of a Suzuki Marauder, but I'm told they are uncomfortable for taller riders (I'm 6'2").

I'm interested in cruisers, really; I'd only be a weekend rider, though I suppose a commute isn't out of the question. I was thinking of getting the 90's learner classic to start off with, an SR125. I like the look of a Suzuki Marauder, but I'm told they are uncomfortable for taller riders (I'm 6'2").
I can't really help with smaller/restricted bikes which you need before you can ride a larger one, having passed the final test, except to say that there are plenty of 125s out there to choose from which don't cost a fortune cos riders use them pass their test and move on, and then there are larger bikes which you can buy which have a restriction kit fitted which you can remove when you pass and that avoids buying again.
As far as bikes in general are concerned you really need to try a few out before you decide what you want. Rider choice is very personal as you will find out, and determined by your size, seat comfort, bars, naked or not, whether you will carry a pillion rider, bike oomph to name a few, let alone affordability. That said your height is on your side because the trend in recent years has been to make seat height bigger and that makes your choice much greater than for me as a short-**** :whistle:.

Well I've ordered and received 2 different indicator lens for the FJ and both are wrong for my model. £20 down the pan until I put em on ebay. Time to invoke plan B... make my own.

Sorry if this is a hijack but I have been thinking of a bike too, I travel to work on what is soon to be a toll road (Runcorn bridge) or via the Mersey tunnel which will both add �£�£�£ to my commute of between 25 miles to the former or 20 miles (ew) to the latter but are free to motorcycles. I had a sports scooter about 10 yrs ago which was great fun to do my then commute of 7 miles each way but realise I will (and want) something more beefy. What would you experienced lads recommend? Don't want R1 pace or looks just something reliable with maybe a dash of "hurahh" that I can maintain mostly myself (time served fitter/ knows nothing about bikes)

Sorry if this is a hijack but I have been thinking of a bike too, I travel to work on what is soon to be a toll road (Runcorn bridge) or via the Mersey tunnel which will both add ��£��£��£ to my commute of between 25 miles to the former or 20 miles (ew) to the latter but are free to motorcycles. I had a sports scooter about 10 yrs ago which was great fun to do my then commute of 7 miles each way but realise I will (and want) something more beefy. What would you experienced lads recommend? Don't want R1 pace or looks just something reliable with maybe a dash of "hurahh" that I can maintain mostly myself (time served fitter/ knows nothing about bikes)

If your on the motor ways and commuting do not get a naked bike, I started with a thundercat but there a little long in the tooth now. Depends on budget really :mrgreen:

If your on the motor ways and commuting do not get a naked bike, I started with a thundercat but there a little long in the tooth now. Depends on budget really :mrgreen:

One way is motorway other is town/ A roads, would probably go the twisty way if on a bike. Money not a big issue if I found I liked doing the commute on a bike but probably looking sub £2k for a trial run commuter

One way is motorway other is town/ A roads, would probably go the twisty way if on a bike. Money not a big issue if I found I liked doing the commute on a bike but probably looking sub £2k for a trial run commuter
Try an SV 650 4 stroke twin,easy on fuel,to ride with enough grunt to tear up the side wall of a house if you wanted.Makes a great commute and not in sports class so cheaper to insure.

Gerry

Having used a naked bike to commute I would say get one that offers as much protection as you can get.

I first got the bike bug way back in the early eighties. My first bike was a Suzuki GP 100. Red in colour. Loved it.Then I brought a Suzuki GSX 250. (Blue)
A car pulled out on me and that was the end of my pride and joy. I married and had children and my riding days took a back seat.
Last October I said to SWMBO 'How would you feel if i got another bike?'
To my amazement she said 'Okay'
I passed the CBT and brought a Honda CBF 125. Great little bike. Nippy and great round town.
I plan to take my direct access next year and would like to get a touring bike. Which one? well I havent made my mind up yet.
You cant beat the feeling of riding a motorbike. Love it.

My missus wouldn't let me sell my mobike cos she knows I'd fall into a terminal depression and die. Besides she loves going pillion being a bit of a rocker. Good luck in your search Aldoray. Sorry can't recommend owt cos I'm not up to date with modern stuff.

Latest posts

Back