Motorbike.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My missus wouldn't let me sell my mobike cos she knows I'd fall into a terminal depression and die. Besides she loves going pillion being a bit of a rocker. Good luck in your search Aldoray. Sorry can't recommend owt cos I'm not up to date with modern stuff.
Bit like me stuck in the eighties loop......

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Good luck in your search Aldoray. Sorry can't recommend owt cos I'm not up to date with modern stuff.

Thanks Gunge. There is so many to choose from its almost impossible to choose.
Would like to start touring in Britain first before venturing abroad.
Anyone watch the Youtube channel RichyVida ? He and a few mates have just come back from a tour of Canada and the USA. Worth a watch if you have a spare half an hour - hour per episode.

Anyone been on a tour on here? How did it go? any funny stories you can share?.

Try an SV 650 4 stroke twin,easy on fuel,to ride with enough grunt to tear up the side wall of a house if you wanted.Makes a great commute and not in sports class so cheaper to insure.

Gerry

Have been recommended the sv before with being only 5' 9" and I do like the look of them but also have a workmate who has an Er6 f and can't fault it. I quite like the look of the KTM 390 too but not sure how a single cylinder bike would hold up as a commuter?

Have been recommended the sv before with being only 5' 9" and I do like the look of them but also have a workmate who has an Er6 f and can't fault it. I quite like the look of the KTM 390 too but not sure how a single cylinder bike would hold up as a commuter?
Single cylinder make an excellent commuter with being lighter,more fuel efficiency and easier to manoeuvre in traffic.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

if you want to tour and commute have a look at the new kawasaki vulcan 650s,it wil do everything you need, at the mo i own a kawasaki vulcan vn 1600 classic, a tad big really for commuting so will be looking the 650s in the near future, there is also a worldwide club associated with the vn range called the vulcan riders, they tour throughout europe and there will be a chapter where you live, they meet once a month and have meets and rallies through out the year, i have taken homebrew to a few rallies and it has gone down a storm!

I have been looking at getting another bike for a while and i like singles, the KTM Duke is at the top of my list so far.

With the 2012 Duke KTM have made a bike that can give an experienced rider the thrill they are looking for whilst being a more usable package with a broader appeal to a wider spectrum of riders than the previous version. The Duke is spot on for commuting and hammering down twisty country roads, where bigger, more powerful bikes would struggle. If you want a pure, no-nonsense bike, the 690 Duke should be top of your list.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/ktm/690-duke/2012/

I liked my Honda XL 500 but wouldn't have liked to commute on it if motorways were involved.

I love the Kawasaki Vulcan. When I finally get round to passing my test, the 900 classic is top of the list.

Bikes and salty UK winter roads do not go together so if you want a year round commute you are best buying a older hack bike imo and provided you keep it in good order you should be OK. If you want to see what the weather can do just take a look at older courier bikes. Dont be fooled by the condition of bikes that never venture out between September and April. You would be gutted if you spent �£�£s on a bike and then slowly watched it deteriorate over the winter months. And unless it's changed the order of Japanese build quality is first Honda then Yamaha and then Kawasaki and Suzuki probably last. BMW are up at the top as well but you pay for that. And apart from sports bikes most bikes seem to be built for weekend riders or at the other end of the scale tourers, and are not aimed at commuters.
Finally fours are usually thirsty, but twins can be economical if you ride steadily. I used to get 70mpg from my TDM900 and now get slightly more from my MT-07.

Get a MZ250TS. But seriously,as terrym has so sagely (☺) pointed out, you need an old hack for commuting. Bikes go down very fast in all but perfect weather... all those nooks and crannies and cleaning them after every ride soon gets extremely tedious. I wouldn't dream of using the fudge for commuting, that's why along with scrupulous maintenance it's still a minter after 28 years. Oh, and I finally tracked down an OE indicator lens!

I love the Kawasaki Vulcan. When I finally get round to passing my test, the 900 classic is top of the list.

Don't wait thumper, put in for your test asap, best thing I ever did was pass my test, have been to many countries now and have some amazing memories of great times and great people. Time goes by too fast so have a go !

I am at the very early stages i don't even know for sure what type of bike i want, i was quite into my trail bikes in my youth so would probably go for one again, Mrs Tea wouldn't get on the back if i paid her so two up riding doesn't need to be taken into consideration.

Ah, but what about the second Mrs Tea!

My wife has always refused to get on my bike. I am very envious of friends who are able to go for touring holidays with their spouses.

One such mate chose his second wife partly with the express requirement that she would ride pillion!

If you do go ahead and get one, I recommend joining MBEAM the local advanced motorcycle club. I did the IAM test and it was well worth it. Good bunch of lads and lasses too. Whatever you do ride safely.

As long as you don't forget how much it hurts to come off, you'll live longer. Here's a pic of the Mini driven by the uninsured driver who t-boned me last summer.

LD04 FLA .jpg

My wife has always refused to get on my bike. I am very envious of friends who are able to go for touring holidays with their spouses.

We used to go all over the place (we live in the lake district) on the many bikes we have had over the years but those days have long gone she doesn't want me to get another and she certainly wouldn't get on the back if i did.

After 3 false starts the correct indicator lens for me mobike arrived yesterday.... all the way from Portugal! Can't believe how rare these things are, maybe I need to start knocking out replicas.

If you do go ahead and get one, I recommend joining MBEAM the local advanced motorcycle club. I did the IAM test and it was well worth it. Good bunch of lads and lasses too. Whatever you do ride safely.
That's an interesting comment.
I thought about doing the IAM test some time ago, but in the end decided against it having talked to some very experienced rider friends who had started the course but not finished it. They said a lot of what you were taught was common sense, but that you were encouraged to ride faster than perhaps what you considered safe (we all have our limits).
In the end I did a one day BikeSafe course organised by the police - a day out with police motorcyclists - and did learn a lot, but rode within my limits.
http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/locate-a-force/
I also got talking to another experienced biker the other week and his impression of the IAM course was exactly the same as the others, and he didn't complete as well.
But whatever you do or don't do, I agree entirely with riding safely :thumb:

Ain't seen one of those ^^^ for many a year. Didn't the police use them for a while or did I imagine that?

You didn't imagine it -

interpol22.jpg

The first Norton rotaries (P41), air-cooled machines, were made available to UK police forces from 1981 although it was in pre-production form for the first couple of years while various bugs such as poor tickover, overheating and blowing rotor seals were sorted out. Around 30 police forces bought just under 200 machines, the RAC took some and the Ministry of Defence a further 150. The total production run was 350, another source says 380, machines.

The welded box spine frame contains the reservoir for the total loss oil system. Marzocchi forks and Brembo discs were fitted and engine power is between 80 and 85 b.h.p. More on the Interpol 2

http://www.nortonownersclub.org/models/rotary

Latest posts

Back