Motueka Kolsch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cestrian

Regular.
Reaction score
Safale K97 is a yeast I’ve used during the summer months for the last few years now. It’s a very distinct style Kolsch. A sort of German lager with an ale yeast. It’s a heavy top cropper, so I usually skim the yeast off the top after about day 3 and save it for the next batch. One thing I have noticed is if you don’t skim all the yeast off at the end of fermentation before crash cooling then it is very difficult to clear.
Apart from that it is a very forgiving yeast. I usually brew about 17C and they turn out perfect. They are traditionally made with noble hops, but occasionally I try something a bit different. Just tucking in to my latest batch made with Motueka and it is one of my favourites. It’s important not to overdo the hops as they can stop the yeast flavour coming through. I tried this recipe with Galaxy and it wasn’t great. Motueka just gives it a bit of a lemony twist. Perfect summer quaffer!

Back