Mould at the very top of the FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just kegged a St Peter's golden ale and when I was washing my FV out, I noticed mould at the very top of what I would describe as the tide mark left by the krausen. It's not come out at all well in a photo. I wonder if there is any reason it would or would not affect the beer (or indeed be unsafe)?
Has anyone had this before? My daughter did try to climb on top of the FV and some of the water from the airlock sucked back in. This was about a week after I put it on (was fermenting for 2 weeks).
As I have not got any other beers fermenting at the moment, I have time so can carb it up and see what happens. I drank the sample from the hydrometer reading - tasted quite nice. FG is 1013, though don't know if that information is useful in answering the question.

mould.jpg

It looks normal to me

Not sure it's mould - just the scum (I imagine dead yeast cells) from the fermentation

All of my brews look like that
Yeah, it's hard to see in the photo but I noticed in the first place because of the greeny-blue tinge and on closer inspection it's a little "furry". Normally it's just a beige colour.

The reason the brewing process was approved by the powers that be,Was simply the plebs could be kept in a healthy workable condition.
You have little to fear. :laugh8:

Actually i don't normally say this for fear of putting new members off.
Yes your mold is unusual but i am not sure if it will harm you( or not )
YOU need to pay more attention to hygiene.
Hygiene was rammed home again and again in ALL pre-internet books.
for good reason.

get that with most brews. some more substantial than others (and some easier to clean off).
wouldn't say it was mould. more krausen remnants.

It's not mould so don't worry. As has been said its scum left by the fermentation and I get it on all my brews. I blast it with the garden hose and then carefully clean with a sponge and hot water. Do not scour it or you create scratches where real mould can live.

YOU need to pay more attention to hygiene.
Not sure what YOU mean by this, but there isn't much more I can do to clean and sanitise than I currently do with the chemicals available to us home brewers.

Re the mould:

I'm confident I can see mould - it's dark green/blue and furry, rather than the dead yeast I am used to seeing, which mostly what can be seen in the photo. The bit that is mouldy is really hard to see as there's not much of it and the lighting is poor

I think I can see what you're talking about (a dark circle about 1/3 the way above the crusty krausen ring). low strength chlorine bleach will kill surface mould and boiling water will double kill it but plastic is porous and you'll never really know if you got it until future brews either do or don't develop a pellicle.

For the price of a plastic bucket perhaps it's time to replace it? Old FVs can always find good use around the house and garage.

I think I can see what you're talking about (a dark circle about 1/3 the way above the crusty krausen ring). low strength chlorine bleach will kill surface mould and boiling water will double kill it but plastic is porous and you'll never really know if you got it until future brews either do or don't develop a pellicle.

For the price of a plastic bucket perhaps it's time to replace it? Old FVs can always find good use around the house and garage.
Good advice, thank you. Yes, i think a new FV is in order. I can use this one for something else I am sure athumb..

Latest posts

Back