Mounted and riot police clashed with protesters on London's Whitehall on Saturday.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colston's statue was the subject of complaint and request for removal for years. 11,000 petition signatures were collected for it's removal, and the council eventually agreed to "amend" the plaque on it to include that he was "involved" with the Slave trade.
Every statue in a public place to a slave trader should come down right now in my view.
Involved transported 100,000 slaves of whom 20,000 died because Bristol slavers were tight packed.

Last edited:
Oooohh, be careful to question what topics are in The Snug, you'll get the standard answer 'if you don't like it don't read it'

The standard answer to this question is given in post #23 i.e. the Snug is the place for all non brewing chat.

Last edited:
Oooohh, be careful to question what topics are in The Snug, you'll get the standard answer 'if you don't like it don't read it'
The standard answer to this question is given in post #23 i.e. the Snug is the place for all non brewing chat.
... yeah, but you have to admire the irony of someone making a post about overly aggressive policing of the forum ... in a thread about "riots", ostensibly caused by people's feelings about overly aggressive policing :confused.:

Should we expect a glut of posts effectively "spamming"/fly tipping on behalf of the fast food chains, in the Fast food litter (link) thread next? :laugh8:

Cheers, PhilB

Involved transported 100,000 slaves of whom 20,000 died because Bristol slavers were tight packed.

Indeed! I looked up the figures today. Mortality during the voyage alone was ranging between 12% and 25% depending on source!
To get that into context, a full London Routemaster takes 80 people. To hit 12% by the time the journey finishes and the passengers get off 9-10 of them would be dead!

It's funny. Violent scenes on the news seem shocking and we're constantly told that it's a shame and bad that people have to spoil it.

But then all the big issue protests of the past that turned the tide on inequalities all used some sort of violence.

Workers rights.
Gay rights.
Women's rights.
The whole country of America came about from a massive protest that got about out of hand...

As Emeline Pankhurst said "The argument of the broken pane of glass is the most valuable argument in modern politics."

It's funny. Violent scenes on the news seem shocking and we're constantly told that it's a shame and bad that people have to spoil it.

But then all the big issue protests of the past that turned the tide on inequalities all used some sort of violence.

Workers rights.
Gay rights.
Women's rights.
The whole country of America came about from a massive protest that got about out of hand...

As Emeline Pankhurst said "The argument of the broken pane of glass is the most valuable argument in modern politics."

After reading Priti Patel's statement earlier, she would have had Pankhurst banged up in no time

Colston's statue was the subject of complaint and request for removal for years. 11,000 petition signatures were collected for it's removal, and the council eventually agreed to "amend" the plaque on it to include that he was "involved" with the Slave trade.
Every statue in a public place to a slave trader should come down right now in my view.
What about the terrorists depicted in Mount Rushmoor???

And having been thwarted at every turn and with no prospect of its removal in sight, the good people of Bristol took it down, gently, nicely and laid it to rest out of sight. Well done Bristol.

When you are more upset over people spraying paint on concrete etc, than by the FACT that the UK and US have a serious problem with racism, including our police force (check yesterdays headlines, right there there is a headline about an investigation into the death of a black man in custody in Cornwall I believe it was?), you need to check yourself at the door.

As to the horses, sure it's sad. Sad that our police think that it's ok taking animals into a potential riot situation and using them to try to intimidate people, people already angry with police. When I say sad, I also mean stupid, dumb, ill advised....

As to the arguments "protests should be peaceful!!!!", have you looked what happens with peaceful protests lately under our wonderful right wing government, and predominantly white wing press of late? I'm not condoning violence, ever, just pointing out that these days peaceful protest doesn't even make it into the news, it gets quietly brushed under the carpet and ignored. BLM have been peacefully protesting both in the US and the UK for decades now (in fact there was a rally held here in Wolverhampton yesterday, peaceful like, you won't find it in national news though.... Our local council support BLM though you see, to the point of using digital signs to push the message, rather than ordering the police in to charge the crowds....), and for decades they've been ignored, pushed to the side, whilst black people and people of colour have been getting killed by cops in the US with near impunity, and even here in the UK we still have problems with racism in our police force, and our populace. Successful peaceful protest is a myth used to keep control of a placid population of sheep.

Didn't see nearly as many people complaining when folks flooded beaches, parks and beauty spots, and lots wanted garden centers opening, but wah wah, people are protesting about something we don't agree with. We WILL get a 2nd wave guaranteed (there was going to be one anyway, just the severity that we had some control over), but it will be down to an over reliance an out dated economic model, and decisions been made based on money and not science.

Oh and yeah, our wonderful PM and the purchase of water cannons when he was mayor of London, that were illegal to use. He was hoping they'd get legalised, but they weren't. Turned out they were garbage, so the lot got sold for scrap at a massive loss. Not really related, really hoping nobody was suggesting they should be used against protesters.... Maybe against our police yeah when they decide to come on all authoritarian and jack boot....

MyQul has deleted 3 posts in this thread if members are going to post about something they have read elsewhere could they link to or paste the article or relevant part of it in their post we cannot have posts starting -

"Clapham junction - 2 days ago. Two ..............."

which was the start of the first post that was deleted with no evidence to show it actually happened, failure to do so in future will mean the posts are deleted along with any quote or discussion of them.

MyQul has deleted 3 posts in this thread if members are going to post about something they have read elsewhere could they link to or paste the article or relevant part of it in their post we cannot have posts starting -

"Clapham junction - 2 days ago. Two ..............."

which was the start of the first post that was deleted with no evidence to show it actually happened, failure to do so in future will mean the posts are deleted along with any quote or discussion of them.

To be fair that was me and was only part of my response.. That said, I was there at Clapham when it happened. Eye witness. It is a shame the rest of my reply was also deleted because that was also fact ( documented ) with regard to Boris and his water cannons and how May had him over but hey ho. I will not post here gain. Biased censoring. ( Not directed at you Chippy ). No point. Will stick to the wine threads.

Latest posts

Back