Move to kegging advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayk34

Landlord.
Reaction score
With Christmas coming up I have asked for hard cash in lieu of presents as I want to start kegging but have a few queries before I purchase

I have seen some starter Cornelius keg kits from the various online suppliers that have the soda stream bottle and tap connected to a disconnect for dispensing. So two questions.

1. For a typical keg how long would a soda stream bottle last ?
2. With no knowledge I have been reading that you need a small diameter beer line to reduce foaming but will a tap directly connected to a disconnect be ok ?

I do intend to build a kegerator/keezer at some point and upgrade to a co2 tank but though that the garage will be cold enough for a few months without it.

You'll not regret it, I can assure you.
Sorry, I can't answer 1. as I use a 6.35kg cylinder myself (over a year since I got it and not yet run out).
For 2, if you put tap directly on the disconnect, you'll want either a flow control tap or flow control disconnect, the former being more prevelent from what I have read. Again, I have neither as I use balanced lines (the small diameter line you mentioned).
As others will testify, you'll end up with multiple kegs, so don't kid yourself - just by a three-keg starter kit straight away wink...

You'll not regret it, I can assure you.
Sorry, I can't answer 1. as I use a 6.35kg cylinder myself (over a year since I got it and not yet run out).
For 2, if you put tap directly on the disconnect, you'll want either a flow control tap or flow control disconnect, the former being more prevelent from what I have read. Again, I have neither as I use balanced lines (the small diameter line you mentioned).
As others will testify, you'll end up with multiple kegs, so don't kid yourself - just by a three-keg starter kit straight away wink...
Thanks for that. Just checked and it doesn't say it's for control tap but didn't look like it

1. Not very long if you carb from the Sodastream bottle. They hold around 60L of gas, carbing 19L of beer to 2.5 vols will use just under 50L. It will work out more expensive pretty quickly. Once you’ve bought your first gas bottle, getting it refilled is not particularly expensive.

Just buy a few meters of 3/16" beer line and coil it up. I used flow control when I started with kegs and found that balancing lines was soo much better so I ended up swapping out the taps for non flow control ones.
Good shout.

I have one of these for when I am on the move:
https://brewkegtap.co.uk/collections/taps/products/party-tap-kitThey're also easy enough to make if you buy the component parts. Granted, they're not pretty, but it's what come out that matters athumb..

I bought the corny sodastream kit with Pluto gun from Brewkegtap.
The regulator can be used with the large 6.35kg bottles by removing the SS adaptor.
It comes with 3/16 beer line ( and gas line/connects etc ) which I cut down to around 1m.
I've been force carbing then topping up later as needed. I have one corny and 2 minikegs which I swap gas and tap between.
Works fine but next step will be a big bottle and a 3 or 4 way manifold.
I find a sodastream bottle will do a corny and minkeg full, perhaps start another one but not much longer.
There's a bit of a knack to fixing bottle to regulator and it's easy to loose a load of gas when you first attempt it ( make sure valve on regulator is fully unscrewed ).

I've also primed bitters with sugar and used corny like a pressure barrel, just using co2 to seal.and purge the keg.

On balance I'd probably advise just getting 6.35kg bottle as you'll want to soon enough.

1. Not very long if you carb from the Sodastream bottle. They hold around 60L of gas, carbing 19L of beer to 2.5 vols will use just under 50L. It will work out more expensive pretty quickly. Once you’ve bought your first gas bottle, getting it refilled is not particularly expensive.
Didn't know it would use that much!! Think I will scrap the soda stream starter kit idea.

As your relatively local to me, can I ask where you get your Co2 tanks ?

Well, no going back now. Just ordered the 2 keg starter from brewkegtap along with a 4 output gas manifold. Just need to get secondary regulators now to allow for different serving pressures and of course the CO2 tank.

Advice I'd give is check and double check your connections.... its a PITA if you have a leak and haven't found it.........

Spare co2 tank also for when u get a leak and it empty out during the night I'm sure everyone gets at least one leak in there kegging career I did and had no spare painful

Didn't know it would use that much!! Think I will scrap the soda stream starter kit idea.

As your relatively local to me, can I ask where you get your Co2 tanks ?
What I’ve done here is multiply 19L of beer by 2.5, thinking about it further it’s probably 2.5x the volume of CO2 that dissolves at atmospheric pressure. I’m going to look into that and get back.
I got my gas from Eamon at Gas Gear and Tech. It’s worth ringing ahead to make sure he’s got the size your after in stock. He does regulators as well.

What I’ve done here is multiply 19L of beer by 2.5, thinking about it further it’s probably 2.5x the volume of CO2 that dissolves at atmospheric pressure. I’m going to look into that and get back.
I got my gas from Eamon at Gas Gear and Tech. It’s worth ringing ahead to make sure he’s got the size your after in stock. He does regulators as well.
Thanks. Will give him a call tomorrow to check.

Santa has arrived but has told me they have to go away until Christmas. :groupdancing:

IMG_20211215_105509.jpg

Hi JKay, i started with the kit you have and a full size co2 tank in April and the gas is still going, i use two party taps with no problems, i have the soda stream adapter which i intend to use on holiday to serve a carbonated 19ltr corny so if you have a caravan or holiday home Bobs your uncle, by the way the 2 kegs i got are now 4 but you won't regret it athumb..

Back