Moving from kits to my own brew - what do I need?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westy

Reaction score
Sorry if you get a lot of questions like this, but I want to make sure I get things right.

As I stated in the newbies thread yesterday when I joined, I'm using kits at the moment as I've never brewed so just want to get used to things. But obviously I want to move to making my own beer when I feel ready, so would someone please mind listing all the equipment I'll need (at this stage anyway). So far I have 25litre fermentation 'pot' (don't even know what you call that!), a 40 pint keg, thermometer, hydrometer, syphon tube, sterilization salts and a big spoon!

However simple it might seem, please let me know what I'll need for a (mildly) successful first brew. Also, any recommendation on how long I should stick to kits before doing my own would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :thumb:

hey westy

theres a couple of threads on the forum already that will answer most if not all of your question

"Your First AG Brew - A Guided Tour"
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=493

and "Moving from Kits to All Grain - Explained"
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=407

i think both tell you what kit you'll need, both are also likely to be a good read for you too.

As for how long you should wait before moving into AG brewing from Kits thats pretty much down to you and how you feel about your progress and results and your budget for buying kit. but my guess is that being part of this forum will result in your making the step sooner rather than later.

Thanks percival,

I knew there must be some good stuff on here but didn't really know what to look for! Thanks for the links. Apologies for the clutter!

hey westy clutter away!

i'm sure i'll be posting threads in the future saying stuff like .. where was the turbo cider thread cos i can't find it anymore etc etc tho that's a bad example cos its an active thread and a search would turn it up. you know what i mean tho.

Back