moving on to first all grain recipe - any feedback please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having done my first partial mash I'm now planning a smaller all grain brew.
I based it on an American IPA recipe by John Finch ( a Malt Miller kit ) reducing it from 19 to 10 litres.
I kept it simple by just using Citra but also have Cascade and Chinook in stock for hopping.
I'd be grateful for any feedback/suggestions - cheers !

https://share.brewfather.app/9NdF8V0jB6Rr1C

Looks pretty good, I recently did an all citra pale, based on James Morton's Undead Pale, in turn based on Zombie Dust. For 23 litres that used 200g of citra, mainly in the hopstand addition, not cheap, but was tasty, and cloudy.

Looks great to me

Is the efficiency from the original recipe or is it calculated from your own equipment?

Would be my only question

The efficiency was calculated from the default BIAB profile I chose on the equipment section on Brewfather.
I'm new to this so not sure if any settings within that profile need adjusting.
My set up is basic - a 40l pan and induction hob.

The efficiency was calculated from the default BIAB profile I chose on the equipment section on Brewfather.
I'm new to this so not sure if any settings within that profile need adjusting.
My set is basic - a 40l pan and induction hob.
I suspect that the efficiency in Bf is correct - the unknown is what efficiency did the recipe maker assume when they put it together.

If they were assuming 70% efficiency you would need more malt to get to the same ABV

If they gave assumed e.g. 70% and it is in fact 80% the same amount of malt will produce you a higher ABV beer

Play about with the malt quantities in bf until you arrive at the ABV you want

Play about with the malt quantities in bf until you arrive at the ABV you want

Thanks, that's pretty much what I've been doing, also adjusting hop amounts to see affect on IBU's.
Just started trying out the BF recipe maker,
the style profile is useful too.
Not overly worried about abv, thought I could calculate the actual efficiency after this brew then adjust accordingly.

80% would be high efficiency. Most people seem to be able to achieve between 65% and 75%. Every brewer needs to dial this in over time. For the sake of a Kg of grain, it's better to work from your known efficiency.

Back