Moving to AG brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmySessions

Reaction score
Hi all, i've recently bottled my first beer kit brew and everything was very basic, just had the 23L FV, plastic tube siphon with some plastic bottles. Currently leaving for a couple of weeks before I try it out, but have been thinking about what I want to start doing next and would be keen to start trying to brew from scratch i.e. using the grains/hops from the beginning rather than using a kit.

The only issue is, I have a very basic set up and i'm not very clear on all the kit that i'll need to start doing AG brews. Could anyone possibly help by outlining everything I would need (or even possibly some links to any kits to facilitate AG if they exist).

There may already be a thread which covers this so sorry in advance if there is, just point me in that direction and i'll read through!

That's a huge jump. Your first beer kit to AG.

I've been back to brewing for 6 years now.
I still do kits. But I steep grain, use different yeasts and add hops.
As well as temperature control.
If I were you I'd looking at improving your kits before going to AG.
But that's just my opinion, and I don't really have the time to do AG just yet.
Even when I get the time I don't know if I'll bother.

Hi Pete, yeah big jump but not one I’ll necessarily do next, just want to start thinking about what equipment I should be looking at picking up to start working towards doing an AG brew over the next couple of months. Will keep doing kits in the meantime however

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pete, yeah big jump but not one I’ll necessarily do next, just want to start thinking about what equipment I should be looking at picking up to start working towards doing an AG brew over the next couple of months. Will keep doing kits in the meantime however
Go to the how to section theres a post on doing ag with a pot and some grain works a treat

Hi for the biggest pot you have in the kitchen or even wrap your FV in a blanket to mash in then use your pots for boiling.
The only difference between kits and AG is extracting the wort from the grains and this is a time consuming process which should be enjoyed and have the ability to either set time aside for around 6hrs or split it between morning/evening or over 2 days whichever suits you best.
I brewed kits years ago and started back using a stovetop kit for 5 ltr brew to cut my teeth again and have never looked back,just don't treat it as a chore or you may loath it.
The reason I suggest pots from your kitchen is as you are already kit brewing you have all you need to get around the basics and messing up small batches is good for learning by mistakes before shelling out wads of cash on something you may later regret but whatever you do good luck.
Times like this you miss @terrym

Simplest method is BIAB (boil in a bag) in a stainless steel pan on either stove top, plug in induction hob or bottled gas ring.
This is what I've done, found a 27L pan with wort chiller and assorted grain bags for £60 of Gumtree and just done my first partial mash.
However setting up a brew fridge to control temperature was my first step forward after starting brewing again and I would recommend this first to optimise your kits.

Simplest method is BIAB (boil in a bag) in a stainless steel pan on either stove top, plug in induction hob or bottled gas ring.
This is what I've done, found a 27L pan with wort chiller and assorted grain bags for £60 of Gumtree and just done my first partial mash.
However setting up a brew fridge to control temperature was my first step forward after starting brewing again and I would recommend this first to optimise your kits.
Exactly my approach but smaller. BIAB using 15 litre pot, an Esky and then am FV. Using the Esky lets me heat sparge water - loving the flavours i'm getting

That's a huge jump. Your first beer kit to AG.

I've been back to brewing for 6 years now.
I still do kits. But I steep grain, use different yeasts and add hops.
As well as temperature control.
If I were you I'd looking at improving your kits before going to AG.
But that's just my opinion, and I don't really have the time to do AG just yet.
Even when I get the time I don't know if I'll bother.
Hi @Pirate_Pete,

Would appreciate your (or others) advice on steeping grains please...

Like you, back to home brewing after many years off, but have always used extract kits. I've had excellent results using 3kg pouch dry-hop kits from Festival/MJ/Bevie. Lockdown has given me time to work through many of the Festival range this last 12 months. All good (and some, such as Razorback IPA, NZ Pilsner, Summer Glory, Belgian Pale, Pilgrims Hope, Russian Imperial Stout, have been really excellent). A well recommended range of quality kits.

I'm about to kick off my next couple of batches, with view to steeping some Weyermann Carapils with a Razorback IPA and a Summer Glory Golden Ale (a few bottles from earlier batches of each reserved to compare results achieved).

My aim with steeping (say, 200g Carapils, muslin bag, w/ 1.5 litres at 70degC for 30 mins) is just to take brewing to next level, experiment a little, and perhaps enhance head retention and mouthfeel of what are already excellent kit brews.

Sounds like this may be your current MO. Any advice or guidance from your own personal experience? Particularly on grain choice, weight & water vol for 23 litre kit, and whether need to boil wort - once grain removed - to sterilise?

I would +1 your advice to @JimmySessions. Plenty to work with on temp control, timing, FV management, and experimentation with dry hopping and yeast choice, to keep the newly converted busy!

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi @Pirate_Pete,

Would appreciate your (or others) advice on steeping grains please...

Like you, back to home brewing after many years off, but have always used extract kits. I've had excellent results using 3kg pouch dry-hop kits from Festival/MJ/Bevie. Lockdown has given me time to work through many of the Festival range this last 12 months. All good (and some, such as Razorback IPA, NZ Pilsner, Summer Glory, Belgian Pale, Pilgrims Hope, Russian Imperial Stout, have been really excellent). A well recommended range of quality kits.

I'm about to kick off my next couple of batches, with view to steeping some Weyermann Carapils with a Razorback IPA and a Summer Glory Golden Ale (a few bottles from earlier batches of each reserved to compare results achieved).

My aim with steeping (say, 200g Carapils, muslin bag, w/ 1.5 litres at 70degC for 30 mins) is just to take brewing to next level, experiment a little, and perhaps enhance head retention and mouthfeel of what are already excellent kit brews.

Sounds like this may be your current MO. Any advice or guidance from your own personal experience? Particularly on grain choice, weight & water vol for 23 litre kit, and whether need to boil wort - once grain removed - to sterilise?

I would +1 your advice to @JimmySessions. Plenty to work with on temp control, timing, FV management, and experimentation with dry hopping and yeast choice, to keep the newly converted busy!

Cheers

That's pretty much what I do. I might use 250 grams of carapils though.
During the summer I'll just leave it on the hot plate for 30-40 minutes.
In the winter I might put it in the oven on the keep warm setting.
I boil the liquid for 10 minutes after removing the grain.
Although I have read it's not necessary I still do.

I'm in Australia so I mainly use Coopers or Morgans. Although I do have a Muntons here to do.
So I'd generally steep the grain. Boil it for 10 minutes.
Take off the heat. Chuck 25 grams of hops in and leave for 30 minutes.
Add to the FV with the can of goo. Through a strainer / muslin.
I only use light dry malt extract in my beer too. No dextrose or sugar.
Day 5 or 6 add more hops. Raise the temperature a couple of degrees.
Another three days put the temperature down to 5 degrees or so for 3 or 4 days.
I find bottling cold wort easier. It doesn't foam up as much.

Last edited:
I brewed one kit then went straight to ag about 7 years ago. I did a one day course run by my local homebrew shop and took the plunge. I bought a 50 l stock pot from Powell brewing, a propane burner, an igloo mash tun, an immersion chiller, a beersmith subscription,a few other bits and pieces and away I went. I started out with clone beers to understand my set up and process before creating my own recipes. My biggest learning is that however much I screw up; I still end up with beer.

Some great advice above for you @JimmySessions.

I just want to add, as some have, you dont have to go all out for a 20 L+ AG brew as well. I dipped into AG with an 11 L Stockport from Argos (£20) and a brew bag and that was it. I found along with the stuff I needed for the kit brewing, i didnt need anything else really. I was making 5L batches and fermenting in a demijohn.
I made some truely great beers with that set up! Some that i have had recent trouble replicating on my all-in-one 😄

Latest posts

Back