Moving to BIAB / AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyV8

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.... advise needed please

Considering going BIAB or straight to an AIO setup. Have been looking at the the BrewMonk 30L AIO gear, but my fermentation kit is still also quite basic, the usual plastic fermentors etc. However Ive also been reading a lot on investing in the 'cold side' of the process - but just right now I cant afford to upgrade both.

So rather than drop €450+ on a BrewMonk and still have my simple fermenting kit, Im wondering if the money would be better spent on going BIAB route in a mash kettle (such as the Brewferm SST 27L / Klarstein Fullhorn etc) and then also getting a stainless connical fermentor in addition (probably a Brewmonk 30L connical). These combined will still be a bit cheaper than an AIO (not much) but possibly better results on the end to end process than just an AIO.

Is this a good option? Any advise appreciated...

Hi Rusty if you go the AIO route and do not have any FV temp control just brew with the seasons yeast wise or use Kveik from such as CML thats what I do and still use plastic bucket style FV's.I brew mainly with Kveik so that I can pitch at 40c then wrap the Fv to keep it warm and let it freefall in temp in a warm room. The advantage of Kveik is it is faster and does not need to have extra time for it to clean up after itself,
This will give you time to amass the extra funds for your FV's if you do decide to go SS or Pressure fermenting but I will guarantee you you will brew some excellent beers doing it with kveik

@the baron thanks for that interesting thought - never occured me to embrace the seasons in that way with yeast. Ive never tried kveik yet, but its on my to-do-list. Here, its 20c-25c+ in summer and anyting down to -20 in winter in southern Finland :-) . My store room (where I brew is heated and insulated, so i can keep a solid +22c in there even during the heart of winter.

Maybe the AIO is the way to go...... still thinking :-)

Very happy with my Klarstein Maischfest, and I brew everything (lager too) at 20c ish these days, I brew/ferment pressurised in a corny which gets great beer in a week. If I had a brew fridge I'd use one, but I don't and still make very drinkable beer. Sure things I can do better but for now I'm happy.

I'd say it depends on what style of beers your brew most of. Anything with a substantial amount of hop, invest in the cold side.

Thanks everyone for the insights. Its not as clear-cut as I had hoped, but it would seem the consensus is to go the AIO route! So a BrewMonk will probably be coming home in the coming months :-)

Back