Multi fuel stoves and wood burners.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As to chimney sweeping - I've got a cheap set of brushes and do it myself. Takes about 20 minutes.

We have 2 woodburners. Burn mostly wood but also some housecoal for instant heat on startup. Both chimneys have ceramic liners. One we have to sweep 2 or sometimes 3 times a year otherwise it blocks up and we gas ourselves. The other one I've swept twice in 26 years and both times it didn't really need it. I've no idea why.
"Umdiddleumdiddleumdiddle..ah!"

Chippy,

A good friend of mine has a freestanding Woodburner in an opened up chimney breast in a two up two down sized house. He uses one of the fans on top of his stove to circulate the heat. He says without it, it is slower to heat the room, and he thinks the walls that surround the stove soak up the heat. He says if he had his time again he would make the recess for the stove much larger.

If you are used to an open coal fire, then you’ll really notice the difference with a stove. Generally speaking around 75% of the heat off an open fire goes up the flue. With a stove they radiate around 75% of the heat generated.

I used to test industrial emissions for a living, and found that sites that used pallet wood as a fuel had corrosion problems on the exhaust and stack. We suspected that the wood contained chlorinated compounds and generated gaseous hydrogen chloride that attacked the steel flue. I would say if you are going to the expense of having a flexible liner put down your flue, then purchase the highest grade you can afford.

Also note that wood burns far better on a bed of ash, so it is best not to clean out the stove on a daily basis. I assume that with your existing coal fire you clean it out daily.

When you get your stove installed you have to leave the installation cold for a few days to allow the fixing / jointing cements etc to cure.

After this it is best to have 4 small fires before you use the stove in earnest.

We had a small fire of a few sticks and a firefighter, and lit this, let it burn through and then go out. Later that day we had a similar fire, but added some extra sticks once the first lot had burnt through. Next day we did the same and then added a couple of very small logs, then once burnt through we let it go out. Next day we did similar, but added 2 charges of logs. This is done to allow the stove get used to expanding and contracting. If you go for it with a full on fire from first installation you risk cracking the casing of stove.

The best way to clean the glass on the stove, when cold, is to get a piece of damp kitchen paper and dip it in the fire ash, and then wipe the inside glass with this. Take it off with a dry piece of kitchen paper.

As for pets and their love of a Woodburner, then please see evidence below.

E51B124F-5F49-46D4-B4C7-5E97F676E1BE.jpeg

3 Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen’s, guilty as charged your honour.

I'm intrigued with these burners! I've sat in my downstairs kitchen/extension and "think" getting one is a possibility!
I've got two possibility places..one is on the outside wall of the extension but near the door. The other spot is the old outside wall of the main house to which the extension joins,so now obviously is inside. Directly above is the pitched extension roof. I'll have to get a man in.

I'm intrigued with these burners! I've sat in my downstairs kitchen/extension and "think" getting one is a possibility!
I've got two possibility places..one is on the outside wall of the extension but near the door. The other spot is the old outside wall of the main house to which the extension joins,so now obviously is inside. Directly above is the pitched extension roof. I'll have to get a man in.

Sounds like a plan Clint let us know what they say.

We have been using smokeless coal this year, i was sceptical when we were told it burns much hotter and longer than normal coal and logs but it definitely does.

Not my fire.

Back