Multi Fuel Stoves.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have an open fire at home and also a gas combi boiler. I said to SWMBO only a couple of nights ago that we need a carbon monoxide detector.

BB

I looked at the link that you placed, but I have a question.

If the alarm goes off, do you have to replace it, or does it have a test/reset button.

Cheers Neil

aneray said:
We have an open fire at home and also a gas combi boiler. I said to SWMBO only a couple of nights ago that we need a carbon monoxide detector.

BB

I looked at the link that you placed, but I have a question.

If the alarm goes off, do you have to replace it, or does it have a test/reset button.

Cheers Neil
Hi Neil,
Just looked.... It has a reset/test button and according to the info on the pack the battery should last 7 years under normal circumstances :thumb:

BB

BarnsleyBrewer said:
I fitted a register plate Mick, not had it certified yet.. :eek: The CO alarm was off ebay. <<CLICKY>>

Galvanized steel that I cut to size and made an hole for flue, I then glued some ceramic rope around the pipe.
03122011119.jpg

BB

Galvanised is not reccomended with a Burner John, there is a chance of some very nasty and toxic fumes coming off the Galvanised Plate.

If it starts to show white powdery patches definitely get rid. You would be better with Boiler plate, as for gluing the Ceramic rope around (what glue did you use?) Have you tried it in anger without the rope falling off.

I used fire cement to seal my plate, due to the heat on the flu pipe.

UP

unclepumble said:
Galvanised is not reccomended with a Burner John, there is a chance of some very nasty and toxic fumes coming off the Galvanised Plate.

If it starts to show white powdery patches definitely get rid. You would be better with Boiler plate, as for gluing the Ceramic rope around (what glue did you use?) Have you tried it in anger without the rope falling off.

I used fire cement to seal my plate, due to the heat on the flu pipe.

UP
Think I got mixed up Unc with type of steel.... Think it's zinc coated not galvanized.... would zinc be o.k to use?

I used super glue, the gap was hardly anything, I put rope around because on one of the sites I went on they did it with installations.

This is a good site for stove reviews.
<<CLICKY>>

Galvanizing is the process of coating steel with zinc. The glass rope is supposed to be used with fire cement it stops the cement form cracking as it takes up the movement from the expansion/contraction. I will be using a stainless or powder coated steel plate Shane.

I have a mild steel plate as it is a lot cheaper than stainless and if you want you can just use some high temp paint on it and paint it black.

Zinc on the whole is not a thing you want to get hot . I know this from welding galvy . There is a mastic type fire cement now available , cheaper and easier to use .

shocker said:
Zinc on the whole is not a thing you want to get hot . I know this from welding galvy . There is a mastic type fire cement now available , cheaper and easier to use .
The plate only gets warm not red hot so i'm hoping it'll be o.k. :thumb:

This place sells them galvanised???? <<CLICKY>>
BB

If you are using a liner inside of a flue tube then the register plate should not be getting hot , If it does get hot , then something is not right . The outer tube should not be getting that hot itself , the liner shouldnt need to touch it , certainly not on a straight piece , so the heat to the register plate should be negligible . In that case I would think galvy or zinc would be fine .

I am not a great fan of using register plates instead of continuing a liner up the chimney , but I am by no means an authority . I have just experienced several situations where badly installed burners have had problems because of it so I go with a liner all (or at least most) of the way now to avoid the issue . If one knows what one is doing , well , Im sure that shouldnt always be needed .

BB's burning old pallets...... ;)
pallets.jpg

And made the daughter a new/old bed. :thumb:
pallet-bed.jpg

BB (Saving the environment) :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Back