Multi Yeast Pitch -Kveik and Midland

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Just done this on a whim I have done a % points bitter style beer and pitched with a packet of CML Midland yeast a 1 and a half teaspoons of Kveik slurry
What am I likely to get and has anybody done something along these lines before and results of?

How did this turn out in the end? Have a kveik fermenting now and a packet of Nottingham in the fridge...

Nothing out of the ordinary it fermented slightly faster but I left it the usual time to clean up

What Kveik did you pitch? There's so many different types out there. I only have access to dried Voss Kveik from Lallemand. Also, I tried pitch it with BE-135. July 6 I should start taste then.

Interesting, I guess fermenting kveik at regular temperatures will hinder the ester development, so they won't add as much flavour, but fermenting hot will stress out the regular yeast and cause some off flavours. Where co-pitching might work is with a saison strain which can handle higher temperatures and kveik. It might be best to give the saison a day or two head start then pitch the kveik.

Interesting, I guess fermenting kveik at regular temperatures will hinder the ester development, so they won't add as much flavour, but fermenting hot will stress out the regular yeast and cause some off flavours. Where co-pitching might work is with a saison strain which can handle higher temperatures and kveik. It might be best to give the saison a day or two head start then pitch the kveik.
In my case, it's already bottled, but it fermented between 20 and 23 C. Also I splet in 3 fermenters. One just Voss, one mixed and one just BE-134. And in the first try, with Voss @35 C, I didn't like it that much. It's acid and has a strong orange peel taste. Was a side by side with be-134 too. It mellow with time, but still acid and citric.

In my case, it's already bottled, but it fermented between 20 and 23 C. Also I splet in 3 fermenters. One just Voss, one mixed and one just BE-134. And in the first try, with Voss @35 C, I didn't like it that much. It's acid and has a strong orange peel taste. Was a side by side with be-134 too. It mellow with time, but still acid and citric.
Yep..I got orange peel.

Latest posts

Back