Munich efficiency

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cestrian

Regular.
Reaction score
Can’t believe how much lower efficiency I’m getting from Munich compared to pale malt. Recent brews with marris otter have been 75-80%, with Munich/Vienna/pilsner mix it has been down at 60%. Not doing anything different. Thought it was a one off the other week, but the last one I did was the same.

British or German Munich malt? Percentage used? Mash duration? Not doing anything different when switching to a malt with lower diastatic power may be your issue.

I've noticed a drop in efficiency of maybe 5-10% with Weyermann Munich based beers. It's a bit annoying if you're not expecting it, but I've learned to up the grain bill a little to compensate.

I usually go 50% Pilsner malt and then the other 50% is a mix of Vienna and Munich. Mash at about 65C for an hour.
All Weyermann malts

I've noticed a drop in efficiency of maybe 5-10% with Weyermann Munich based beers. It's a bit annoying if you're not expecting it, but I've learned to up the grain bill a little to compensate.
How long are you mashing for Steve?

Ok thanks! How long at each step though and how are you heating up, taking a portion off and boiling it up before adding back or is it a grainfather or similar?

Munich has very low to no beta amylase. What's your exact grist? If it's munich heavy then you probably want to spend about 1 hour in beta range, around 60-64c, assuming you have some malt in there with high beta amylase like pilsner malt. (about 15% or more) Then do another step around 72c for half an hour. That should get you decent attenuation.

The other thing is that munich affects mash pH differently to pils/pale malt, which can negatively affect enzyme activity depending on your water/treatment etc

edit: for some reason I didn't see your other posts...you easily have enough beta amylase, but those malts definitely benefit from a step mash. I'd do 63-64c for 1 hour and 72-3c for 30 mins. you can mash out as well if you want for ten minutes or so . You can mash in lower for a bit to help stop dough balls

Last edited:
What extract potential have you set for it? I had 1.038 for the Weyerman Bo Pils and found my recipes to be off until I reduced it to 1.036.

Back