Munich malt as the main base malt?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning my next brew and was taken by the Munich Dunkel recipe in the GH book. I looked online and also found a couple of recipes which were interesting. After making changes to fit with hops I have I've ordered some grain. I realise I've deviated from the GH recipe quite a bit and have c.90,% Munich as my base malt. Will this be fine, or am I heading for trouble? Although I found a couple of recipes using this quantity, most other recipes seem to split Munich with another larger base malt (maybe due to costs?). I've also just noticed that GH recommends 50% max Munich in his Malt table. I'm happy to go for it, but also happy to lower the % and get another base malt if needed. Any advice welcome. 🍻

That depends on the malt type. Some Munich doesn't have enough enzymes to convert himself. Check at malt information sheet. Or plug in some software, or BrewersFriend site, it gives you the diastatic power for your mash.

Light Munich should be ok, but darker version needs another base malt along. Diastatic malt could help on that.

My Dunkel recipe is
2500g Munich
2000g Pilsner
200g Special B
200g Chocolate wheat
Munich isn't just Munich. The diastatic power is what counts, the lighter the Munich the better. The OP didn't state which Munich he has.
A Dunkel can be brewed with Munich as a base malt as Alan Reginato pointed out, it has to be the lighter Munich. The OP should have included the Lintner of the Munich he has purchased to get a positive answer.

Hi, I'm planning my next brew and was taken by the Munich Dunkel recipe in the GH book. I looked online and also found a couple of recipes which were interesting. After making changes to fit with hops I have I've ordered some grain. I realise I've deviated from the GH recipe quite a bit and have c.90,% Munich as my base malt. Will this be fine, or am I heading for trouble? Although I found a couple of recipes using this quantity, most other recipes seem to split Munich with another larger base malt (maybe due to costs?). I've also just noticed that GH recommends 50% max Munich in his Malt table. I'm happy to go for it, but also happy to lower the % and get another base malt if needed. Any advice welcome. 🍻
Munich Types 1 & 2 are OK up to 100% according to Weyermann. If you used a different maltster then check their datasheets because the colour can differ quite significantly.

Not sure about the flavour impact - when I did Weyermann's dunkel recipe it was 60% Type II (23 EBC), 30% Vienna and 10% others. I remember noting that the flavour was kind of like drinking a mild ale that had been lagered. Tasty but needed more Saaz in my opinion.

Munich isn't just Munich. The diastatic power is what counts, the lighter the Munich the better. The OP didn't state which Munich he has.
A Dunkel can be brewed with Munich as a base malt as Alan Reginato pointed out, it has to be the lighter Munich. The OP should have included the Lintner of the Munich he has purchased to get a positive answer.
Thanks Foxy. I've just checked and I've ordered light Munich...I've also just noticed that the supplier info also notes that this can be used upto 100%. Happy days. 👍

Munich Types 1 & 2 are OK up to 100% according to Weyermann. If you used a different maltster then check their datasheets because the colour can differ quite significantly.

Not sure about the flavour impact - when I did Weyermann's dunkel recipe it was 60% Type II (23 EBC), 30% Vienna and 10% others. I remember noting that the flavour was kind of like drinking a mild ale that had been lagered. Tasty but needed more Saaz in my opinion.
Thanks foxbat. I'll keep that in mind as I tinker with my recipe. I'm thinking of doing a decoction mash - time and kids depending 😂. I'd like to do a triple but may be realistic and aim for a single/double. 🍻

Back