Munich/Vienna base malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did this turn out? My pale malt order is stuck in customs so I’m looking to sub the shortcut with with some Munich. It means a pale ale with 33% Munich which I was worried about until reading the above.
Stuck in customs? You do know there is something seriously wrong with that statement?

But it high-lights something I'm only just beginning to appreciate: UK "Vienna malt" and UK pale malt can be described the opposite way around 'tween here and there. Their "Vienna" malt can be about the same EBC as our pale malt. What they describe as pale malt we have as mild ale malt (which in the case of Crisp Malting is the same as their "Vienna" malt).

Weird that. I guess it has something to do with us having a heritage of ale/beer drinking and the continentals having a heritage of lager drinking? But that comes unstuck when comparing with Belgium which have an ale/beer heritage (their, Dingeman's, pale malt is a whopping 8-9EBC). The method of creating these malts is about the same though they do have different barley varieties.

Check out Hazelwood Brewery summer breeze...
Good recipe that one Clint, but the latest recipe goes 50 50 vienna with pilsener and looks amazing , think I will try myself, have you done the latest take on summer breeze yet and if so what is your take on it

Back