Muntons Flagship Hazy IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all for the advice. Started the kit today but over-chilled the wort, just waiting for it to hit 18°C before pitching. I'm going to use the hop can as I'm a lazy so & so and the advice has given me the confidence to stick with batch priming. Cheers!
Good luck with this one, it's well worth taking care of it especially at the end of fermentation. I'm sure you will love it.
I put two thirds in a keg and the rest in bottles I found the last couple of pints from the keg had started to clear a bit bottled with half a tea spoon of brewing sugar via a syphon tube and used the sock on the end as a filter without any blocking and all was well

Thanks Fox. I changed my mind about using the hop can today and will give the filter sock a go when the time comes. I'll use the hop can for the MJ Citra IPA I got going this morning. It'll be a busy couple of days bottling once both batches are ready but worth it to build my stock up.

The Muntons Hazy is bubbling away nicely but it seems like all the hop aroma is being blown out. I've seen other posts which mention that CO2 drives off the hop aroma so was wondering why this kit has half the hops added after the first day. What's the benefit?

I've seen other posts which mention that CO2 drives off the hop aroma so was wondering why this kit has half the hops added after the first day. What's the benefit?
Not all the hop aroma gets 'driven off' by the CO2 - there is still a lot present in the beer with hopping on day 1 (or even at yeast pitch).

Fermentation is a very complicated process when you get down to specific details and a lot is still completely unknown in the brewing/biochemistry industry. 'Biotransformation' of hop compounds differs with different yeast strains and activities and temperatures.

In short, the hops added during the boil add one thing, the dry hops added at the start of fermentation add another thing, and the hops added at the end of fermentation add another thing! All add up to a hopefully excellent beer.

The Muntons Hazy is bubbling away nicely but it seems like all the hop aroma is being blown out. I've seen other posts which mention that CO2 drives off the hop aroma so was wondering why this kit has half the hops added after the first day. What's the benefit?
also to add that It could be due to the brew's yeast working hard maybe full pelt after day one so the hops get a good mixing , post boil in a brewery they use a hop back at about 75/80 c so they don't add to much bitterness. so it's could be a way do something like that in kit form , I made mine to the instructions and it worked out fine enjoy your brew -)

@allotment_fox I just checked on my brew and there is no airlock action. This was pitched on Saturday night so surely can't be finished by now? I also pitched a MJ Citra IPA on Sunday and it has also stopped although I can still see a thick krausen. Both FVs are showing 22°C on the stick-on thermometer strip and the air temp is just above 20. I did MJs American IPA in Sept and it finished in 4 days so I know their M44 yeast is a fast worker. The Muntons was pitched with the kit yeast, Safale-04. Should I be worried?

Starting this at the weekend, I cant ever stick to instructions though so I'm adding 400g of brewing sugar to pop the ABV up around 6, using Verdant yeast and adding a shed load more hops... Using all the kit hops on day one for biotransformation, then adding 200g of Hopeye NEIPA blend on day 11.

Cant wait to see what it comes out like...

@allotment_fox I just checked on my brew and there is no airlock action. This was pitched on Saturday night so surely can't be finished by now? I also pitched a MJ Citra IPA on Sunday and it has also stopped although I can still see a thick krausen. Both FVs are showing 22°C on the stick-on thermometer strip and the air temp is just above 20. I did MJs American IPA in Sept and it finished in 4 days so I know their M44 yeast is a fast worker. The Muntons was pitched with the kit yeast, Safale-04. Should I be worried?

I don't tend to worry to much these days early on. Depending on where your fermenter is located, I use a fermenter fridge with and inkbird thermometer set it and leave it I did not test until the kegging / bottling when it was sitting at 1010. I try to avoid opening my fermenter to prevent oxygen getting to my brews. If yo have fluctuating temperatures it can cause issues in say a kitchen when it cools overnight.

I would think that you are getting very vigorous fermentation in the first 24/ 48 hours which is normal then just ticking over until its finished.
I would not open it until dry hopping time and then try to avoid oxidisation you could drain some brew off and test it but this could also lead to oxygen creeping in through the air lock. Personally I would relax let it take it's course.

I'm using a spare bathroom (empty nesters) as my brewroom which, due to some weird quirk of our house design, is an internal room with no window (does have an extractor fan) so ideal for the job.The FVs are sitting in the bath tub. 'Er indoors likes it hot, costing a bloody fortune, so temp in there is fairly constant. I'll stop fretting and leave them to do their thang.

Starting this at the weekend, I cant ever stick to instructions though so I'm adding 400g of brewing sugar to pop the ABV up around 6, using Verdant yeast and adding a shed load more hops... Using all the kit hops on day one for biotransformation, then adding 200g of Hopeye NEIPA blend on day 11

Cant wait to see what it comes out like...
look forward to hearing the results I do these sort of things on many occasions with the likes of brewing sugar / brown sugar & candy sugar when i have it. had some smashing beers at the end of it. that's the attraction of this hobby there is so many different ways to getting a unique end product.

Well I've just poured my very first Munton's Hazy Zesty Fruity IPA. I made it to the original recipe but with LME. It's beautiful. I've already decided I'll be making it again.

Attachments

• IMG_20220114_184429913.jpg
    IMG_20220114_184429913.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 67
It looks delicious. I've already stolen the hop/yeast bill to do an AG batch later this month. Does anyone have any idea what DME mix it uses to approximate with grains? Looks to be darker than just pale malt

Down to the last five bottles of my Hazy IPA. This is the second batch I’ve made and though it’s not as good as the first batch (no idea why), it’s still very good. I will definitely do this kit again. Just came out of isolation from covid yesterday though - and it’s definitely affected my taste buds. Nothing I eat or drink has the flavour it did pre-covid.

I have the hazy ipa in the fermenter now. It's been going a week and while there was activity, it's all gone a bit quiet. Took a sample and sg read 1.022 but I'm not convinced as the sample was a lot of sludge. Should I be concerned as I'm wondering if its stalled. My last 2 brews have been a disaster albeit up until then many successful ones. Pics attached of the murky sample.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20220122_131809.jpg
    20220122_131809.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 48
It doesn't look good. Did you follow the instructions exactly by adding the two types of hops on Day 2 and then again 10 days later? I used muslin bags for all of the hops. On Day 12 it was reading 1.014, then 1.010 at bottling time another 10 days later. It came out at 5% which is what was on the box.

Do you think yours is like it is because of:

1. Poor sanitising during initial steps?
2. Taking a sample from the bottom of the fermenting bucket?
3. Out of date or contaminated yeast?
4. If two previous brews have failed, have the ingredients got spoiled in storage by being too warm? I think this could spoil the yeast maybe?
5. Most frightening of all. Could your wife be sabotaging your brews because she's fed up with you taking over the kitchen/utility room 😬?

I'm sure there's a wealth of experienced brewers on here who can identify the problem. Good luck, I hope you get to the bottom of it.

It doesn't look good. Did you follow the instructions exactly by adding the two types of hops on Day 2 and then again 10 days later? I used muslin bags for all of the hops. On Day 12 it was reading 1.014, then 1.010 at bottling time another 10 days later. It came out at 5% which is what was on the box.
YES FOLLOWED EXACTLY USING HOP BAG. BEEN IN A WEEK AND 10 DAY DRY HOP DUE ON TUE PM (AWAY WEDNESDAY).

Do you think yours is like it is because of:

1. Poor sanitising during initial steps?
CLEAN AND SANITIZE THOROUGHLY. ALWAYS FERMENT IN CORNY KEG AND PREVIOUS BATCHES HAVE BEEN GOOD (BAR LAST 2). I WONDER IF ONE OF THE KEGS IS SCRATCHED INSIDE AND DIRT IS GETTING IN. THAT SAID I USE HOT WATER TO CLEAN AND SANITIZE SO DONT THINK ANY SPOILS WOULD REMAIN.
2. Taking a sample from the bottom of the fermenting bucket? YES DEFINITELY DID AS I SAMPLED VIA THE LIQUID DIP TUBE IN THE KEG. I'LL TAKE ANOTHER WHEN DRY HOPPING AND TRY AND FLUSH OUT THE 1ST PINT OR SO.
3. Out of date or contaminated yeast? CAME WITH THE KIT AND KIT WAS WITHIN DATE SO SHOULDNT BE.
4. If two previous brews have failed, have the ingredients got spoiled in storage by being too warm? I think this could spoil the yeast maybe? I ALWAYS KEEP ALL INGREDIENTS IN FREEZER INCLUDING INGREDIENTS THAT COME WITH KITS.
5. Most frightening of all. Could your wife be sabotaging your brews because she's fed up with you taking over the kitchen/utility room 😬? :laugh8:asad.. RECENTLY DIVORCED SO DON'T THINK SO! FUNNY THOUGH.

I'm sure there's a wealth of experienced brewers on here who can identify the problem. Good luck, I hope you get to the bottom of it.
Hi Ross M,
Thanks for your response.
PLS SEE RESPONSES ABOVE.

It does look a bit milky the way the sample is part settling in the sample jar looks like it's been stirred up,
worth checking fermenting conditions / temperature's yeast is a living thing it can be effected by a number of things during fermentation, I was in the homebrew shop some time ago and a chap there told me he "had his fermenter on the kitchen's heated floor" and spoiled his brew by overheating.
My advice would be like above "CLEAN AND SANITIZE" try to keep temperature's balanced I have found that when a brew is fermenting it seems to generate it's own heat and just needs to be kept cosy.
If your unsure follow the instructions closely especially at £30 ish a kit

A last ditch thing you could try is re pitch some yeast but personally I would wait a couple of days to see if it ferments out
I hope you can save it

I've just finished bottling my first attempt at this kit. Decided to go with kit instructions and added the hops loose. I used the filter sock supplied with the kit and found this to be OK for keeping most of the big particles out. Batch primed with 125g of table sugarI hope this clears down over time because right now I'd describe this as muddy rather than hazy. Despite using the filter, I presume there's a fair amount of hop suspended in the brew which will settle out.

I've just finished bottling my first attempt at this kit. Decided to go with kit instructions and added the hops loose. I used the filter sock supplied with the kit and found this to be OK for keeping most of the big particles out. Batch primed with 125g of table sugarI hope this clears down over time because right now I'd describe this as muddy rather than hazy. Despite using the filter, I presume there's a fair amount of hop suspended in the brew which will settle out.

Sounds promising out of interest what did it finish at ? mine was 1010 at bottling.
I'm down to my last few bottles. I enjoyed mine last night have got say it has cleared a out more than I expected bottled 13/11/21 so around 70 days in the bottle still a nice hoppy brew.:beer1:

Latest posts

Back